PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What I can say is that overheating isn't general to the brand. I have a dozen or more Savinelli pipes and the bowls heating up are not a problem. Probably you are smoking too fast, etc. Or it could be this particular pipe. Even a few Kaywoodie briars I have with notably thin bowls just don't heat up. If it is just this one pipe, I wouldn't attribute it to the brand.

Briar Tuck

Lifer
Nov 29, 2022
Oregon coast
Slowing down and building a proper cadence are two good bits of advice others have already offered. I will add that if you enjoy smoking outside, be wary of the wind. Even a fairly gentle breeze can really get the tobacco going hot. A windcap or keeping your back to the wind can help with that.
This is a great point. I was actually dealing with some wind today while smoking, and it can get things hot very quickly.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Most of my pipes are Savinelli, and I don’t have this issue. As mentioned, slow the cadence, pack loosely, and most importantly, dry the tobacco more. All three should help you control the temperature better👍

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Cyxelsid

Starting to Get Obsessed
Hi guys, my savinelli pipe keeps heating up and it gets too hot to hold by the bowl. Is there any solution to that ?

Thanks
I am curious which Savinelli you have? I recently purchased a Savinelli Bing Extra Long pipe. I have been smoking this pipe every other day for two weeks. It has gotten warm between my fingers, but never HOT.

20230215_083302.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Not going to repeat the good advice already given by others, but I will add to the breaking in the pipe comments. Once you get some cake built up in the pipe, and the pipe is broken in more the pipe shouldn't feel as warm. As long as you're not aggressively puffing away the cake will help insulate the heat. Just remember to much cake can be bad for the pipe, so don't build up too much but a nice layer will greatly benefit the pipe and you.

Reactions: Cyxelsid and Deano

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Just hold it by the stem.
If the smoke is enjoyable don't worry about it. If it's getting so hot that you risk a burn through then it's an issue. But short of that I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe slow down a bit if you want.

Reactions: Cyxelsid