PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Anybody have any hands on experience with these? It is my understanding they are Sav rejects. Pulled because of minor (or major} problems. I just took a chance for $45.00.

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Sigh, I guess not. Oh well. Seeing as how I have started to find it's a crap shoot even with full brand name pipes, I'll just hope for the best.

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I love the Grezza pipes, if you got it at $45.00, that is a great deal! I paid $60.00.
Maybe some fills, but oh so sweet smoking! Enjoy!

• Love
Reactions: saintpeter

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
I love the Grezza pipes, if you got it at $45.00, that is a great deal! I paid $60.00.
Maybe some fills, but oh so sweet smoking! Enjoy!
Well by the time I paid for shipping (FedEx) it was 60. Coming from Italy. That makes it comparable with a Rossi.

Last edited:
Reactions: donjgiles

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I have no experience with them. That said, Sav is not going to sell you a pipe that has major defects. Surface blems? Sure. But they will not sell you a pipe that is drilled wrong or has blems in the bowl. Blems in the bowl would cause burnout and wrong drilling would be a warranty situation. They are just pipes that will not get the high grade finishes, because there maybe be a surface blem. Also, it's cheaper for them to produce, as they skip an entire lengthy process of finishing. And time equals money.

Gibson, among others, produces lines of guitars with less expensive finishes. The guitars are the same, just not finished to a high gloss. According to Gibson, a Les Paul Standard in a matte finish costs half as much to manufacture. They can sell the guitar for $1200 instead of $2400, like the high grade finish.

I think it'll be fine.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I have a grezza 636 unwaxed version. I purchased it from the 2017 Chicago pipe show for $40. The surface blemishes are the only difference from the rest of my Savinelli pipes. They're great pipes and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another. You got a good deal at $45.

Reactions: saintpeter

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
Here is one I really like, the 311.

18509379-orig.jpg

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Yes, well it arrived. It has now been smoked. I am impressed. The bit has no markings, but just forward of it, it is stamped Italy and a Sav marking. It is an unapologetic pipe. No staining, no rustication and just a buffed wax finish. You get to see it all. The good, the bad and the indifferent. Pits I did not find. The stem is borderline too tight, but that I can fix. The grain does not pose any danger of knocking one's socks off. A very tiny surface crack adorns the stem that one has to hunt for and is 1/8 inch long, but passes the fingernail test. Speaking of passing it does so with a pipe cleaner. A large chamber and I am now totally in love with the 320 shape, not to mention it's smoking qualities seem to be far better than I hoped for.

Reactions: Spa32

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
"grezza" means "rough" in Italian. So they saved on finishing, Aside from that it should be as good as any other Sav.

Status
Not open for further replies.