PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Guys, what is your opinion on the Savinelli Long John pipes. Are they good ? How much should I pay for a new one ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sav's prices are detetmined by their finish and grain, but personally, I wouldn't pay over $130 for one.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
+1 What you pay depends on the grade you buy. Sav's are usually good smoking pipes so it's more a question of what pleases you. IMHO sometimes the look and feel of a better grade is worth the few extra bucks. But that's more a personal taste matter. "One man's meat is another's poison." I don't think you can go wrong with a Sav no matter what grade you decide on.

Reactions: ThebigFil

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
I don't think there are lots of choices in the Long John line. They basically come smooth and rusticated and that's about it as far as I know.

Chasingembers: Do you mean you wouldn't pay more than 130 bucks for a Sav Long John or a Sav in general ?

stephenw

Might Stick Around
Nov 14, 2014
WV
I own a Long John and it is a very good pipe. It does not get smoked quite as much as some of my other pipes only because it is just a bit longer than the pipes I usually smoke and that extra length just seems to throw thing off a little bit. Also, it seems to have a bit more weight than I normally like, but it is not so heavy that I can't clench it. I know that I did not pay much for the pipe because I bought it when money was tight. I am getting ready to load it up right now just to revisit it. I would gladly purchase the Long John again. I have yet to find a bad Savinelli. Just for reference, the pipes that have gotten the most smoking time have been Savinelli Bing's Favorites.

Reactions: ThebigFil

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Do you mean you wouldn't pay more than 130 bucks for a Sav Long John or a Sav in general ?
The Long John. There have been a few of their Autographs that have given me an itchy trigger finger, but try to hold back on the big bucks for commissions. Looking back at it, I see how my post sounded, but Sav's are great smokers. Just a pipe that size, I wouldn't pay more than $130 for.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
Autographs, they sure look good. From $ 300 up to $ 1,200. I don't know. I've only been smoking for a year now and I am still not sure what it is you really pay for with those pipes. Besides the craftsmanship and the grain, is it also a better wood? Does superior grain mean a better tasting pipe? I am now at a place where I am mainly interested in pipes that taste good, regardless of their grain or decoration. The reason I am asking about the LJ is because I actually have one already, and although I own quite a few higher grade pipes, in the last few days it has become my absolute favorite and I want to smoke it all the time. It is a small pipe, you are right but I suspect perhaps this is the reason why it works so well for me, because I have many large pipes. I don't know, it is a strange combination of the bowl size, the bare wood matt finish, the fact that it is cheap that makes me go for it several times a day. I put some HH Old Dark Fired in it yesterday and honestly none of my other pipes can deliver the flavour this one does. I have found a brand new smooth one for around $90.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With Savs, the question is more what do you want in terms of design, size bowl, length of stem, and price. If you buy a pipe you want to smoke at an acceptable price, with a Sav, the quality will probably be good, as will the smoking characteristics. The churchwarden in my avatar is a Sav 601 with no filter. My wife gave it to me as a gift, and I think the price was quite reasonable -- around $60 three or four years ago. It's a good one.

redpanda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2015
mso489: I have one problem with Churchwardens. It is their long plastic stems. It is just too much vulcanite for me. I love the lenght but just can't stand the plastic. That is why I look for good Canadians. They are long, but with long shanks and shorter stems. I am just not a fan of plastic in general. Even in my house, i do not have plastic things and always look for wood or metal. But that's me.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.