PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Finally firm on my opinion of this Sav that I picked up almost 2 months ago now.
After smoking it every other day, and trying both Virginias and English out of her, I dedicated this pipe to English blends, for 2 reasons.

First, I find it to help bring out a bit of sweetness in a blend, don't really know if it's the briar or maybe the shape, but I definitely notice blends being slightly sweeter out of this big'ol author.

Second reason, This pipe smokes awesome. It's crisp, clean, smooth and dry. It fits in the hand wonderfully, the stem is well made and well fit, draught hole well placed.

Overall I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of this pipe, especially at that price point, I mean Iv'e payed more for Peterson's that are not even close to being this well made.

BUT! yes there is one single thing I could knock it for, and that's the weight. It is pretty heavy, but I don't usually clench so not really much of an issue.

So this pipe is staying as one of my main go-to pipes.
Oh, I wear a 2XL Motorcycle helmet if your after a size reference, this thing (and my head) is massive.
Hercules320EXpic2.jpg

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I have the mega 315, same bowl size I think, but with a shorter stem. I love filling it with codger burley blends.

Reactions: 3rdguy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My wife gave me a Savinelli Hercules Oom-Paul some Christmases ago, and I really like it. It does a full, tight U-Turn and has a good deep chamber for long smokes. I'm not sure these are currently available, but I suspect they will turn up again in the inventory, and they are likely available as estate pipes.

Reactions: jewman22

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
My wife gave me a Savinelli Hercules Oom-Paul some Christmases ago, and I really like it. It does a full, tight U-Turn and has a good deep chamber for long smokes. I'm not sure these are currently available, but I suspect they will turn up again in the inventory, and they are likely available as estate pipes.
I never knew they made such a thing, I might need to look for one now, as I dont own an Oom-Paul and I love all my Savinellis, it seems like a perfect item to keep an eye out for.
Thanks for mentioning it. :)

Reactions: mso489

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Finally firm on my opinion of this Sav that I picked up almost 2 months ago now.
After smoking it every other day, and trying both Virginias and English out of her, I dedicated this pipe to English blends, for 2 reasons.

First, I find it to help bring out a bit of sweetness in a blend, don't really know if it's the briar or maybe the shape, but I definitely notice blends being slightly sweeter out of this big'ol author.

Second reason, This pipe smokes awesome. It's crisp, clean, smooth and dry. It fits in the hand wonderfully, the stem is well made and well fit, draught hole well placed.

Overall I'm very impressed with the fit and finish of this pipe, especially at that price point, I mean Iv'e payed more for Peterson's that are not even close to being this well made.

BUT! yes there is one single thing I could knock it for, and that's the weight. It is pretty heavy, but I don't usually clench so not really much of an issue.

So this pipe is staying as one of my main go-to pipes.
Oh, I wear a 2XL Motorcycle helmet if your after a size reference, this thing (and my head) is massive.
View attachment 87516
One advantage I've found is that so many English/Latakia blends come in ribbon form, so a big ol' pipe is nice for a long, luxurious smoke. I've had my eye on the Hercules line myself for that reason,in particular a billiard or bulldog shape. I think they are quite nice and seem like a good, budget-friendly alternative to the Peterson House and Pub Pipes, though they lack the silver and system drilling treatments.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
One advantage I've found is that so many English/Latakia blends come in ribbon form, so a big ol' pipe is nice for a long, luxurious smoke. I've had my eye on the Hercules line myself for that reason,in particular a billiard or bulldog shape. I think they are quite nice and seem like a good, budget-friendly alternative to the Peterson House and Pub Pipes, though they lack the silver and system drilling treatments.
So I have a few of each brand, and I can say with fair certainty, that IMO, for the money, the Savinelli is a better pipe. I've been kinda tempted to pick up the Dante. I dont find the bowl on this perticular pipe offers a longer smoke however. Likely do to the fact that it is very shallow, and tobacco seems to burn a bit faster in it, and no I'm not hauling on it any different. But I do find a nicer, more consistent burn with the short wide bowl.
A Hercules won't disappoint, I've been keeping my eye out for a sale to justify buying another, of the same shape even. Actually having a nice bowl of Presbyterian in it while typing this, man this stuff is good, should have stockpiled during the sale.

Reactions: danimalia
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Even a 320KS is not one I’d pick up for a long session of clenching. It’s more of a “wrap your hand around the stummel and contemplate” kind of shape. I’m sure the EX would be the same, just more so.
It’s a great shape for trying complex blends that have lots of different varietals in them. The wide chamber lets you have a wider ember and is more likely to capture everything in the blend as a whole.
I’m a big Savinelli fan, though my collection is meager. Their drilling is spot on, and they smoke really well. Plus, I like the chunky Italian take on classic shapes.
Good looking Sav, sir!

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Given that we both like the author shape, I was pleased at how much I enjoyed the Peterson 408. It might be something to consider down the road.
If that shape becomes available in a St Patrick's Day pipe I will definitely consider the 408. But at this point I have 8 Petersons, and the only one that smokes worth a damn is my 999.
I have started to collect the St Patricks pipes, I started with the green ones cause I thought they were neat looking, then kinda started to buy some of the older ones.
That 408 is a beauty though, heres hoping for the 2022 run.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Hey, look at what the FeMail-Man dropped off for me before work.
View attachment 91222
Size wise, the internal bowl dimensions are near Identical to the Hercules, same ID but the EX is 1mm deeper than the XL. It's the outside dimensions of the EX that are larger, by almost 3mm on the OD.
Good looking Trevi. I have a 320KS Trevi that was gifted to me by a fellow forum member. It smokes really well, as all my Savinellis do.

• Love
Reactions: jewman22