Savinelli Giubileo D'Oro (shape 207 - straight apple)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I decided it was time for brighter lights in the light box. (The grain, she wasn't comin' through before... not a problem now! :mrgreen: )
A well-cut apple perfectly balances practicality and style. Traditional enough that billiard smokers usually have a few, and sleek enough that the creative shape guys also have a few.
This one came from a shop in Phoenix back in the 80's. Things were arranged so that the owner would call me whenever the Savinelli rep was in town. :D Nothing like being able to pick the cherries straight off the tree... 8)
41.9 grams, 5.8" long
P1020505.jpg

P1020507.jpg

P1020520.jpg

P1020518.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
That's a lovely G d'O George! I always like seeing that type of cross grain orientation on the sides of a pipe! There must be some very nice bird's eye on the front and back. :)

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Beautiful pipe!
On this pipe and most billiards the profile line in front, though curved, is less curved than the rear. On this pipe it looks as if the might be done so that had it not ended at the shank, it could have turned inward, echoing the rear line. Any thoughts about how this shaping standard came about?
I suppose at this point this pipe was shaped by hand. So someone drew the shape on the block and shaped it by hand to that line? Even so, that's control!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
On this pipe and most billiards the profile line in front, though curved, is less curved than the rear. On this pipe it looks as if the might be done so that had it not ended at the shank, it could have turned inward, echoing the rear line. Any thoughts about how this shaping standard came about?
I suppose at this point this pipe was shaped by hand. So someone drew the shape on the block and shaped it by hand to that line? Even so, that's control!
My understanding is that the Jubilees were just regular production pipes that by sheer luck had outstanding wood + no visible surface flaws without magnification.
How early in their journey down the line they were spotted and given special treatment (if they were in fact at all), I have no idea.
The sort of shaping nuance you are referring to is equal parts to the frazing machine's credit, and the final sander/shaper, I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.