PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Savinelli 106. My favorite shape.

Classic with a nice bowl, not too narrow, lightweight and smokes all types of tobacco like a champ.

Like already mentioned the 106’s bowl is not that tall compared to other billiards, and for me that’s what makes it perfect.

I search specifically for that when buying billiards.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As someone pointed out early in this thread, some cuts burn longer and will give you a long smoke in a medium chamber like the 106. Specifically, flake/coin/plug/and rope will give you a good long smoke approaching an hour in a medium bowl. I surmise this is because there is a little more moisture retained in these cuts, and the pieces are a little thicker. I think there is another Savinelli pipe very similar to the 106, the 105, that has a larger chamber. I also second the suggestion on the unfinished Savinelli series. The unfinished pipes look a bit like the lumber yard, no stain or wax, but if you smoke them just as is, they first acquire a pleasant matte finish as they darken, and then they mellow into a walnut tone, and finally they acquire a resonant deep polished look with no wax or polish. It is a satisfying process and not to be missed.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
New pipe smokers may not know that Rossi brand is owned by Savinelli and its pipes are all Savinelli shapes with slightly less exalted finishes, so be sure to consider those. Many Rossi billiards are available in Sav shapes at at considerably lower cost. A standard Sav billiard shape is their 111, and the Rossi version is 8111.

Reactions: OzPiper

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is my first ever pipe. It is a Savinelli Linea Pui 5 which had a retail of 155.00. My buddy took off 20 percent as he owned the store. That pipe was awesome, it showed me how a good pipe should smoke like. It was a group 5 in size and I could smoke it for an hour and a half. I smoked flakes in it, I smoked other cuts as well. I also smoked English blends in it so now it is now not in my rotation. I will always advise people too get a hundred dollar or so Savinellli as they smoke great and it will give you an idea of what a good pipe should smoke like.

jewman22

Lifer
Apr 2, 2021
Ontario Canada
Go for it, Savinelli makes great pipes, And all 7 of mine are in my top 10.
They smoke great, look great and are reasonably priced.
Not like you're short on size or shape options with Savinelli, kinda makes choosing only 1 a bit difficult.

Reactions: OzPiper