Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

OlJawBone

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2021
California
Does anyone know if these savinelli adapters work in a mm filtered cob pipe? I am using medico filters now and i pike the draw with the filter in but hate having this disposable trash after every smoke and i am wondering if i lose flavor.

Follow question is are these disposable or leave in?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Does anyone know if these savinelli adapters work in a mm filtered cob pipe? I am using medico filters now and i pike the draw with the filter in but hate having this disposable trash after every smoke and i am wondering if i lose flavor.

Took me a while to find the photo. This came up a few years ago on another forum, the diameter of the adapter is too large to fit in an MM stem. They're not disposable and can be wiped off and cleaned with pipe cleaners.

20210819_121936.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Most filter MM cobs smoke well enough with no adaptor, as is true of many or most other filter pipes. The 9mm pipes popular in Europe are often sold at discount in the U.S. on the basis that smokers here don't want the filter, but most smoke fine without it. Filters are one of the pesky elements of pipe smoking that pretty much have to be learned by trial and error. When in doubt, leave them out, you might say.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio

Yes, I use the Savinelli 6mm wood filters in MM filtered cobs. Theybare a little tight, but will fit. I generally use a wooden filter three times, cutting off a bit of the dirty end before each subsequent smoke. I generally like he Savinelli wooden filters.

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
Took me a while to find the photo. This came up a few years ago on another forum, the diameter of the adapter is too large to fit in an MM stem. They're not disposable and can be wiped off and cleaned with pipe cleaners.

View attachment 93484
Is that a 9mm or a 6mm adapter?
I am asking because I was wondering if a 6mm adapter would work for the cob.

kilroyjune6

Might Stick Around
Dec 25, 2016
I use the 6mm adapters in my cobs. It's quite often a snug fit, and a couple of times I had to lube them up with mineral oil to get them all the way in, but they work. I actually prefer the open draw without them, but the soft plastic the stems are made of can deform pretty easily when exposed to heat. Hot smoke softening the plastic and the wood shank swelling from the moisture in the smoke can make for loose stems over time. After replacing a few stems, I started using adapters as structural support.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

Tabacco

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2020
GA - USA
Thanks!
I use the 6mm Savinelli triangular balsa filter because I prefer a tighter draw but I’ll order the adapters next time from SP and give them a try.

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
I roll a tube of paper and use that as an adapter when I want to tighten the draw in a cob, usually when I'm smoking a shag.