PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I don’t know if the picture will come through clear enough. Does the bowl look damaged? Like maybe the PO used a torch or something? Or is that just normal cake on an old pipe? 4ECE63F7-A7FB-41BA-B734-28D6B3805F2B.jpeg7924C518-A059-4FB2-82CE-E202AEA83EE4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
looks like the prior owner used a torch lighter....like a lot. pretty dirty too....you won't be able to fix the scorched rim, but a professional or very good restorer might help.

Reactions: turbomunkey

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
looks like the prior owner used a torch lighter....like a lot. pretty dirty too....you won't be able to fix the scorched rim, but a professional or very good restorer might help.
Do I dare just smoke it as is? Or maybe I contact the seller? If my memory serves me they took a very specific angled picture of the bowl that did not depict this damage

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Was it sold as used, but in good condition or just used. I have purchased both and If it says in good condition but has problems I am likely to try to return it. If it is just used, then it depends on how much I paid for it. I also consider the seller and whether they have any knowledge of pipes.
-
Assuming I was going to be keeping that pipe I would carefully ream the cake back. Do a salt everclear treatment, then put a coating of pipe mud on the inside of the bowl. The rim could at least be cleaned and made presentable. :)

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Was it sold as used, but in good condition or just used. I have purchased both and If it says in good condition but has problems I am likely to try to return it. If it is just used, then it depends on how much I paid for it. I also consider the seller and whether they have any knowledge of pipes.
-
Assuming I was going to be keeping that pipe I would carefully ream the cake back. Do a salt everclear treatment, then put a coating of pipe mud on the inside of the bowl. The rim could at least be cleaned and made presentable. :)
Hello and thank you for the reply. The photo of the bowl that was included in the original sale was intentionally taken at an angle only depicting the "good" portion of the bowl. I also believe the seller is ignorant to pipes, no disrespect to them. A return has been started. If the seller by some miracle issues a refund and does not want the item back i will give it to a member for free if they would like to restore it. Thank you.

addamsruspipe

Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Hello and thank you for the reply. The photo of the bowl that was included in the original sale was intentionally taken at an angle only depicting the "good" portion of the bowl. I also believe the seller is ignorant to pipes, no disrespect to them. A return has been started. If the seller by some miracle issues a refund and does not want the item back i will give it to a member for free if they would like to restore it. Thank you.
That works. Hope it works out for you. If you do get to keep it, it would not be that hard do a restore on it. You should give it a try. :)

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
That works. Hope it works out for you. If you do get to keep it, it would not be that hard do a restore on it. You should give it a try. :)
I’m an old soul who has done too much work in his short life. Smoking pipes / cigars helps me sit down and just enjoy life for a change. Working on a pipe would just drain me. Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Cake looks pretty thick and I'm guessing that the "alligatoring" is just the cake. You could sand it smooth, and just smoke it. That's fairly common, especially over the draft hole.
Interesting so it’s potentially not damaged. We shall see what happens. Thanks

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Use a dowel or a handle from to tool, like a wire brush (better if rounded) and wrap 100 grit around it. work it both ways while keeping it relatively straight so you don't take the bowl out of round. Once you get most of the carbon out, go to a finer (200) grit.
The seller accepted the return. I need everyone’s vote. I paid 50 dollars for the pipe. Should I F with it, or should I send it back?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The seller accepted the return. I need everyone’s vote. I paid 50 dollars for the pipe. Should I F with it, or should I send it back?
I guess that all depends on whether or not you're comfortable putting in the work and if the pipe really appeals to you. I wouldn't consider $50 a super deal, cleaned up I would put a value of $80-90 on such a pipe.

However, if you were to clean it up and keep it, it looks like a decent pipe. Hard to tell, but it looks like the back wall of the draft might be a little elongated from some burn through.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
I guess that all depends on whether or not you're comfortable putting in the work and if the pipe really appeals to you. I wouldn't consider $50 a super deal, cleaned up I would put a value of $80-90 on such a pipe.

However, if you were to clean it up and keep it, it looks like a decent pipe. Hard to tell, but it looks like the back wall of the draft might be a little elongated from some burn through.
If you think its just a matter of removing cake from the the inside of the bowl thats something i can do easily at work. I am a mechanic and have access to a lot of tools and definitely what you mentioned in your previous post.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you think its just a matter of removing cake from the the inside of the bowl thats something i can do easily at work. I am a mechanic and have access to a lot of tools and definitely what you mentioned in your previous post.
After owning many tools of the trade, I've found nothing better to do a smooth and even reaming like 180 grit sandpaper.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Most likely it's a matter of removing the existing cake, not 100% guarantee. If there were to be any damage to the interior bowl wall it would likely be minimal. Sanding it smooth and applying a bowl coating in that case will diminish any further damage.

Mechanical aptitude is key... It wouldn't take a large assortment of tools to accomplish the clean up, just some sandpaper and something to wrap the sandpaper around.

Status
Not open for further replies.