PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2020
Casa Cugat, California
I Just got this Estate pipe and it's my 1st dry system pipe of any sort. Seems to smoke fine. However, I noticed that the draught hole appears larger & somewhat jagged compared to my other (non) system pipes; leading me to think it's burnt out at the draught. Can anyone confirm/deny if this is typical for sytems? I wicked some cleaner into the draught & maxed out the brightness of the pictures in order to contrast it as best as possible.IMG_20201119_134553.jpgIMG_20201119_134254.jpg01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If the hole is high, the smoke will end quicker. It looks like the previous owner dug out some briar, and by doing so, might have raise the hole. If the tobacco is lower in the bowl than the draught hole, it will go out.

Reactions: Stummel_Stroker

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
If that were mine, and you just bought it as a estate pipe I would start and give it that chamber a good cleaning. From the pics the draught hole doesn’t look bad. I tend to open my draught hole a tad larger anyway. Just a personal preference. If it smokes good , and I imagine it does i would leave it be.

Nov 15, 2020
Casa Cugat, California
If that were mine, and you just bought it as a estate pipe I would start and give it that chamber a good cleaning. From the pics the draught hole doesn’t look bad. I tend to open my draught hole a tad larger anyway. Just a personal preference. If it smokes good , and I imagine it does i would leave it be.
Thanks Chuck. I have no complaints with it's smoking.

Papasmurf92

Lurker
Oct 16, 2020
Hi, Stummel_Stroker!

I have the exact same pipe, as well as several other 614s, which have an even sharper bend than the 621.

Although Savinelli uses the same round drills for all of their pipes, due to the weird angle at which the drill enters the stummel, I can confirm that the draft hole for these pipes is like a tall Medieval church door, or like a rectangle with a rounded top edge, and a pointier, narrower bottom edge.

From what I see in the picture, the pipe could either have a slightly charred airway, or maybe someone tried widening it (Savinellis usually have a wide draft anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.