PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1655608815944.png

I heard this was a complex blend, so I gave it a try and bought a tin. Cracking it open it smells sweet like honey and orange juice in equal portions. Inside are curled medallions stuffed inside, hence the "Gold Doubloons" or "Gold Coins" of the name.

These coins disintegrate by finger rubbing and easily stuffed into my Savinelli Dolomite 645 KS as seen below that I usually reserve for honey or vanilla flavors.

1655609054268.png

Comes out a little dry and a bit slow to light, taste is complicated and light flavored. Honey and citrus up front, orange and maybe lemon, hay for sure, probably coming from the Virginia. Later, finishing with pepper, possibly from the slight Kenyan Leaf, and sweet Perique savory mushroom-y, maybe walnut-y "umami" topping (early, pre-2015 versions allegedly had more Perique). Hint of CoffeeMate creamer aftertaste rounds it out distantly.

The blend is confusing but not unlikable. I suspect some cellar'ing will improve this in time. Reminds me of a more complex version of MacBaren's 7-Seas Gold a bit.. somewhat, but more advanced. The Perique brings back Camel Signature Perique cigarettes vibe too, if you remember those giving that savory flavor with fruity notes by scent only.

Vitamin N is quite present, and chimney-smoking will numb your face if you pull-in the ash. This you'll notice with a campfire replacement to the honey/hay/orange-juice suddenly. Dumping ash and re-lighting is recommended. Bowl was a bit ghosted as if I smoked Sutliff Chocolate Supreme which was confusing, like as if it ultimately finished with a white-chocolate ghosted ending? Probably from the Perique that has unusual qualities like that. Somewhat likable, the scent lingering like an un-washed Italian blonde the last evening you managed to convince to stay the night but you're not charismatic enough to have her make you breakfast it seems. She's long gone. Luckily your wallet was untouched.

Truly a complex blending on the lighter scale instead of ones like Sasieni or Arango Balkans that are more Latakia-heavy, or rich, plumy Mississippi Mud Special Reserve "heavy". This is light and lively.

Recommended for someone who enjoys complexity and bored with Latakia or English blends as a change-up. Not bad at all.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Excellent review and fun to read. I keep putting into my cart and taking it out. Based on your review I think I'm going to leave it out.