PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
What did I just buy?

I really like the look of freehands with plateau but the Danish are too over done

for my taste. I saw this Savinelli autograph on ebay and without much research

I decided that i really liked the look and, as it probably has more attention to detail

than the standard lines.

Anyway I won so what have I got?

It has the number 4 stamped on the bottom of the shank.
s-l1600-600x404.jpg

s-l1600-11-600x391.jpg

s-l1600-2-600x405.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm pleased with all my Savinelli pipes, but I also believe you get more when you pay more with this brand (as with Nording and some others), so you should be well satisfied with this, all the more if you got a good deal.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Savinelli Autographs are one of their top of the line pipes. I've seen them online & new starting around $250 and going up. The ones my local B&M carry start at $500 and go up.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
Very nice looking pipe. I especially like the grain on the left side. Agree with MSO - Savinelli has a good reputation and the Autograph line is higher-end. My understanding is that the 4 is the grading stamp. I believe a 4 is towards the lower end of the grading scale. However, compared to the main line Sav's, any Autograph is starting at a much higher quality point to begin with.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Thanks! I thought it might be a copy or something because of the lack of stampings

and that few people bid on it but it was a nice piece of wood and the carved stem

seemed a lot of work for a copy.

I am almost embarrassed how little I payed for it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I am almost embarrassed how little I payed for it.
Never be embarrassed over that. I got three unsmoked Punto Oros two years ago for under $50. Joy is what I called it. I'd say you did a great job snagging that one. :clap:

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
I received the Savinelli Autograph yesterday and have cleaned it and looked it over.

groove4-600x450.jpg

tenon1-600x450.jpg

groove5-600x450.jpg

The tenon is a good fit but obviously drilled off centre. I don't know how well you can see it in the picture but the bowl is drilled slightly conical and there is a couple of rough patches on the inside of the bowl which are not burnout. They look like some fibres were ripped out when the bowl was drilled. At the bottom of the bowl is a little step that looks like the bowl has been deepened with a spherical rotating file slightly smaller than the bowl bit. Beneath that is a roughly cut groove which seems to have been made with a dremel tool in order to reach the draft hole which still enters a bit low.

My interpretation is that the draft hole has been drilled between 1/4" and 1/2" too low and the maker has tried to reach it without breaking through the wood.

I am puzzled.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That looks like a vulcanite stem and with no filter, it would have been made prior to 1982 (I think, without looking that up!). After 82, they switched to acrylic, filter stems.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I don't know how well you can see it in the picture but the bowl is drilled slightly conical and there is a couple of rough patches on the inside of the bowl which are not burnout. They look like some fibres were ripped out when the bowl was drilled. At the bottom of the bowl is a little step that looks like the bowl has been deepened with a spherical rotating file slightly smaller than the bowl bit. Beneath that is a roughly cut groove which seems to have been made with a dremel tool in order to reach the draft hole which still enters a bit low.
Not well at all. With good lighting and better focus, we might be able to see what you describe.
At the same time, nice acquisition and I bet she smokes very well for you. Enjoy!

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Do love me some Sav Autographs, or any Sav for that matter. That's a real beauty. I bid on it myself, but wasan't going to go very high since I didn't really need it. You've got a real gem there!
Bill

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
First smoke. A very nice, smooth draw, more open then I am used to.

A gurgle at half bowl which may be because of the shape of the bottom of the bowl

but equally likely it is the bent unfiltered stem and me being a wet smoker.

Not a great flavor but it probably needs some rebreaking in?

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
I just purchased a brand new Savinelli Autograph, its a big beautiful Pipe of exquisite quality and fit and finish. The grain compares with any high end pipe I may have, in fact, its the the most beautiful grain I've ever seen...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In high end pipes, I think Sav Autographs are definitely worthy of consideration, as are high-end Nording. You can spend more on top-price brands and artisan pipes, but you may not do better in terms of smoking characteristics. At least if you shop them, especially in person, you will have considered comparable options.

Status
Not open for further replies.