PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmjr

Lurker
Feb 26, 2019
For those of you considering the purchase of Savinelli's Acrobelano line, be aware of a problem I hade with my 626 in the blue color. After only a month or so and without even smoking it nor handling it the color is quickly fading!

It's been sitting on a display rack since I got it. I also have the green 626 and it too is fading.
My 3 Savinelli Alligator 614's in green, blue and red are a more high-gloss finish and no problems(so far). The difference, as I see it, is the Acrobelano's are Not protected with any veneer. Perhaps the Alligator's are painted, Acrobelano's are dyed.
Frankly, this is a quality issue not expected from a Savinelli pipe. Any input greatly appreciated.
CDM Jr.

daniel7

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2018
Kópavogur, Iceland
Danish oil could fix any colour/dye but you can apply it only before waxing. Anyway, it is more than surprising to have a so amateurish quality issue with a Savinelli series which is produced for a long time now. Maybe you exposed it to direct sunlight?

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
All green and blue pipes fade with time, handling, and mostly, exposure. They all turn brown eventually. If yours saw a lot of UV light, that's that.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dyes will fade via light exposure, whereas paint is much more resistant color wise.
I have a formerly green pipe that's a nice brown now. It has a varnish or shellac coating from the get go.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't leave any of my pipes out in racks. Unless in use, they're all tucked away in one of the fitted cases or drawers I have for just such a purpose. Also the only time any of them gets any direct sun exposure is when I'm outdoors smoking one during the day. I have too much money invested in them to treat them like crap.

cdmjr

Lurker
Feb 26, 2019
Thank you all for your input. It would seem that if you like color-dyed pipes it's best to "museum" them without smoking which is a shame.
I've never agreed with those who don't drive classic cars for fear of damage but now I understand why they want to shelter them.

Thanks again.

CDM Jr.

Jan 8, 2013
Do the Petersons do that too?
Green Petersons made before the 2018 Saint Patrick's Day pipes apparently do, but they say they have fixed that issue. That being said, none of my green Petes have lost any color. I keep them on a rack, but those racks are out of direct sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.