PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
Hi,
So I'm really tempted by one of the Savinelli 'New-Art' line, they are nice looking pipes. They are all 6mm though and I have only ever bought filterless pipes.
My question is then, do I need to use a filter with these pipes or does it come with some sort of adapter? Does anyone here just smoke one without either? Do you get moisture build up in the cavity?
Thanks

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
Mine came with an adapter and I smoke it with and without it. The 6mm balsa system is the only one I will actually use with a filter, though. The balsa sucks up moisture but seems not to mute flavour or steal the nicotine.
The adapter works fine on mine and seems not to cause any trouble when I forget to order filters which is all the time. Just make sure you take it out and clean it after your smoke or it will glue itself in there.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy styler,
The Savinelli lines that have tenons made to accept Balsa Wood filters all come with an adapter. Some people use the adapter and some do not even though they are not using the Balsa Wood filters. I don't use the Balsa filters and have smoked my Savinelli pipes both with and without the adapter and don't personally notice any difference. Moisture buildup in the mortise varies, depending on what kind of tobacco you smoke. It's easy to swab out with a pipe cleaner that's bent in half.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
My only Savinelli is a 6mm filter model. Even though I like the balsa system, I also rather enjoy the way it smokes without it. I do not like the way it smokes with the adapter in place.

Reactions: BlueMaxx

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
As others have said...they come with an adapter if you don't like the balsa insert. Personally I lile the balsa insert though I have had a bowl every once in a while become difficult because the swelling balsa filter (as it soaks up moisture) formed a restriction because I inserted it too far toward one end or the other.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I have not used the balsa filters with my savs; however, I do use the adapter and love the way they smoke. I always pull out the adapter after the pipe has properly cooled down and clean both its interior and exterior with a pipe cleaner and cloth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I use the adaptor just because I like the slightly more restricted airway (very slightly) to focus the flavor, but that's just me. I think you can pretty much do what you want. I haven't heard anyone have problems smoking a Sav without filter or adapter.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
When I have the balsa inserts, I use them. If I run out, I just smoke without the adapters. A few years ago I tried them with and without adapters and didn't notice much of a difference. I really like the Sav balsa inserts, and it just so happens they fit perfectly in the factory MM bits. I really don't like the Medico paper filters that go inthe cobs, so when I smoke a blend in my cobs that I prefer to smoke "filtered" ( I'm looking at you, Dark Twist), I switch out my forever stem for the plastic and use the balsa.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I usually smoke my 6mm Sav with no filter, and never an adapter. Great smoke.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I smoke mine both with and without the filter and prefer to use the filter. I've never used the adapter but it smokes great without it.
I'm not interested in regular filtered pipes but I would certainly buy more Sav's with their balsa filters. In other words don't hesitate to buy it.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Although I prefer to use the filters in Sav's 6mm pipes, my local B&M doesn't stock them. I find the adapter to be the next best thing, I seem to develop a gurgle more easily when I smoke them sans adapter.
The biggest drawback of the adapter, I find, is that it is a little short of the chamber in my pipe. It becomes a natural place for loose pipe cleaner fibres to accumulate and become saturated and stanky. Pay attention to this when cleaning, however, and you'll be fine.
I do wish that more Sav's came without filter accommodations. I feel like I need a 320 now...

Status
Not open for further replies.