PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I recently purchased a Savinelli 3621 dry system at my B&M and have found that it immediately became one of my favorite pipes.

Since it's not an artisan, it's one I could obviously purchase more of. (Although not loads of them in my searching)

1). Is it reasonable to expect that if I purchase other Sav 621 dry systems that they will perform "the same"? I'm well aware that (for me) each pipe provides different smoking characteristics. But I've never purchased more than one of the "same". As a factory pipe can I expect essentially the same characteristics?

2). What does the 4th # (3 in the front) mean on my 3621? I've seen mention that it was from previous years but unclear regarding exactly what years it may indicate, or even if it means something else entirely.

Cheers

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is a gamble and some randomness in buying any product, pipes included. However, the same model from the same brand should offer fair probabilities of getting the same quality pipe. This increases significantly if you can buy the pipe in person and are able to examine it first. When you get into online purchases, the variables multiple. You just never know exactly what you are getting, and more so with estate pipes.

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
There is a gamble and some randomness in buying any product, pipes included. However, the same model from the same brand should offer fair probabilities of getting the same quality pipe. This increases significantly if you can buy the pipe in person and are able to examine it first. When you get into online purchases, the variables multiple. You just never know exactly what you are getting, and more so with estate pipes.
Thanks, this first one was an estate in my B&M, and it's a dream. Can't find any other in the area but smokingpipes has a few and I thought about getting another. So there should be less variables if purchasing new. I want to presume that the qualities will be the same, I simply don't have the experience to know if that plays out to be true.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I was able to find some more in the genre. I'll have to recheck the exact models, but 3 of the Savinelli dri system p-lips all smoke great for me. I've got a couple more new in box that I'm just keeping in reserve...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
First it was the 3621 that sent me down this path.
Then a 2611, that was indeed larger in bowl and chamber dimensions.
Then a 1611 which is the largest of these in bowl and chamber.

Other than sometimes preferring the larger chambers, the 3621 is the best of the 3 for me. I think I first used it when I opened my first tin of Nightcap. They play sooo well together.

They all have a P-lip type of stem, although one of them has been "mangled" and reduced a little in size from some "repair" work that occurred before I got it. Still pretty good but not exactly the same and I can tell the difference. (Better than I could likely have done though.)

I think I have a couple others I purchased new and are in a box to pull out when I wish to give myself the gift of a new pipe. Mid-sized, but I don't recall the exact model #'s right now. I hope they have the P-lips too but I don't recall at the moment.

Reactions: yanoJL