PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youngbuck

Lurker
Dec 13, 2019
Tacoma
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hey all. As the title reads one of my pipes in my Collection is a Savinelli 320 KS. Unlike all the other pipes in my collection this is the only one that seems to be a wet smoker. It’s so bad to the point where it seems to be almost completely soaked in bottom of the bowl. It is the only pipe I also use the Savinelli Balsa Filter to try to collect some of this moisture. Has anyone else experience the excessive moisture problem and/or have any remedies to try out? Thank you so much! -Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Hey all. As the title reads one of my pipes in my Collection is a Savinelli 320 KS. Unlike all the other pipes in my collection this is the only one that seems to be a wet smoker. It’s so bad to the point where it seems to be almost completely soaked in bottom of the bowl. It is the only pipe I also use the Savinelli Balsa Filter to try to collect some of this moisture. Has anyone else experience the excessive moisture problem and/or have any remedies to try out? Thank you so much! -Joe

How close to the bottom does the airway enter the bowl? How is the cake formation at the bottom of the bowl? Sometimes there is just certain dynamics in the way everything comes together. Moisture comes from 3 places - combustion, saliva (probably rather less than you think) and condensation from respiration as we blow into the pipe. It can only leave the bowl in a few ways - as steam, absorbed into the cake/bowl/dottle/filter or physically removed.

Have you tried it with the adapter instead of the filter? The filter chamber can sometimes act as a collection point for condensate so then it’s working kind of like a system pipe but without the well.

You can also try a looser pack with drier tobacco. Also, without the filter it’s easier to physically remove moisture as you go.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Is this a new or infrequently smoked pipe?

I've had one or two pipes give me a gurgle problem until it was well broken in. Not sure of any "science" behind such a phenomenon, except that maybe establishing a cake/carbon coating aids in moisture absorption/management.

1594500617256.jpeg

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
This has more often, than not, been my experience with Savinelli filter pipes. The channel behind the chamber hole expands quickly, which cools the smoke quickly, which causes condensation.

This is why I think filter pipes stink. I really like some of Savinelli's finishes and styles. But, if it has a filter, I'm not bringing it home. Poor experience with several of their filtered pipes has brought me to that point.

I tend to use my Savinelli pipes for english blends, which are dryer to begin with. And, if ghosting occurs, I haven't ruined one of my high dollar pipes.

P.S. There are some models of Savinelli pipes that don't have filters.

Youngbuck

Lurker
Dec 13, 2019
Tacoma
This has more often, than not, been my experience with Savinelli filter pipes. The channel behind the chamber hole expands quickly, which cools the smoke quickly, which causes condensation.

This is why I think filter pipes stink. I really like some of Savinelli's finishes and styles. But, if it has a filter, I'm not bringing it home. Poor experience with several of their filtered pipes has brought me to that point.

I tend to use my Savinelli pipes for english blends, which are dryer to begin with. And, if ghosting occurs, I haven't ruined one of my high dollar pipes.

P.S. There are some models of Savinelli pipes that don't have filters.
I will give it a shot with the adapter as I never thought of it that way with the balsa filters. The pipe seems to have a really hard time building cake but it’s been in my rotation for almost a year now. Thank you for your advice!!

Reactions: ofafeather

Youngbuck

Lurker
Dec 13, 2019
Tacoma
Is this a new or infrequently smoked pipe?

I've had one or two pipes give me a gurgle problem until it was well broken in. Not sure of any "science" behind such a phenomenon, except that maybe establishing a cake/carbon coating aids in moisture absorption/management.

View attachment 36010
I know what you mean there. It’s interesting. However I struggle with this pipe to get any carbon cake to really stick to the bowl. So that could be and a huge factor there. Any advice you have for building cake on your pipe smoking journey? -Joe

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I know what you mean there. It’s interesting. However I struggle with this pipe to get any carbon cake to really stick to the bowl. So that could be and a huge factor there. Any advice you have for building cake on your pipe smoking journey? -Joe
For a pipe that has a moisture problem there is not much for building cake other than smoking partial bowls to jump start the bottom cake. Many people don’t worry too much about cake so I wouldn’t over think it but it is nice to smoke a few bowls at least where all of the tobacco is charred to the bottom if not fully burned.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
My Sav 320 is a relatively new purchase however it smoked good from the first bowl and great from about bowl #3 (only has a total of about 10 bowls so far). I use the filters, as I do with all my savs that are made for them. I do think there is some leeway as to how far in you in push the filter, so maybe experiment with "seating depth" to get a better airflow pattern?

Youngbuck

Lurker
Dec 13, 2019
Tacoma
My Sav 320 is my best smoker, that being said I don't use a filter and if things get a bit soggy I'll run a pipe cleaner to the bowl and have no further issue.
A lot of fellas have a really good report on them. I would love mine if I can figure out why i have like almost May I ask what blends do you normally enjoy in yours?
For a pipe that has a moisture problem there is not much for building cake other than smoking partial bowls to jump start the bottom cake. Many people don’t worry too much about cake so I wouldn’t over think it but it is nice to smoke a few bowls at least where all of the tobacco is charred to the bottom if not fully burned.
yeah I’ll try to to look into finding a way to get a cake started. Maybe I didn’t get the initial break in right.

Youngbuck

Lurker
Dec 13, 2019
Tacoma
My Sav 320 is a relatively new purchase however it smoked good from the first bowl and great from about bowl #3 (only has a total of about 10 bowls so far). I use the filters, as I do with all my savs that are made for them. I do think there is some leeway as to how far in you in push the filter, so maybe experiment with "seating depth" to get a better airflow pattern?
Yeah that was something I experimented with as I usually use the balsa system with all of my pipes that take them. I haven’t had much luck as the filter gets pretty soaked after half a bowl. It’s just weird for a pipe that usually has a good standing is giving me a bit of a fight. I may try what someone else had recommended with starting the partial bowls to try to get a better cake built in the bottom -Joe

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I haven't heard that complaint about the 320 or other Savinelli pipes, balsa filtered or not. I don't have a 320 but lots of other Sav's. Neither of my three authors of other brands smokes wet or gurgles. All of which is to say, I think it is this particular pipe. Some especially moist aromatics may contribute to the problem, if that's what you're smoking. Many blends, even those not notably moist, benefit by being dried out for a few hours or a day or two, in a separate bowl so as not to dry out the whole jar or tin. Most pipes benefit from a little personal adaptation in packing, tamping, or selection of blend, so you might find a good combination with this pipe that will make it smoke drier.

Reactions: Bam and ofafeather

Cleza

Lurker
Nov 23, 2020
Warwick, England
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello Youngbuck, just read your thread and wondered if you have managed to sort out the problem with the moisture?? I received my brand new 320 is oceano today and have experienced the same problem. So naturally I was quite interested when I saw your post.
I had packed it Gawith Hoggarth Kendel American CV blend and used with the 6mm filter in place.
Im hoping it’s just because the tobacco is too moist or maybe it’s just because it’s a new pipe and needs to ‘bed in’ because I absolutely love the pipe itself, it’s a work of art ??

Reactions: Youngbuck

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a 320KS and noticed that it collects moisture more than my other pipes as well. I think it’s due to the thick shank and the “Arthur” shape. I know that when I lean the pipe forward it helps, and prevents any of that ash water from hitting your tongue... yuk! It also helps to keep the bowl cool...

Reactions: Cleza

Cleza

Lurker
Nov 23, 2020
Warwick, England
I have a 320KS and noticed that it collects moisture more than my other pipes as well. I think it’s due to the thick shank and the “Arthur” shape. I know that when I lean the pipe forward it helps, and prevents any of that ash water from hitting your tongue... yuk! It also helps to keep the bowl cool...
Cheers STP, I’ll practice leaning the pipe forward ??

Reactions: Youngbuck and STP

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Carrying olafeather's suggestion a bit further, please try this: smoke 6 half bowls of very dry tobacco. That will help with cake, but also drive a bit of moisture from the pipe, but especially the heel.

Reactions: Youngbuck

B_Rock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
I have a Savinelli 320 and a Rossi 8320 and have smoked them with filters, with the adaptor and without. I have finally settled on filter/adaptor free. I smoke English/Balkan blends in them and as long as I take my time, don't clench too much and set the pipe down once in a while...there is not much moisture. One of the great things about the author shape is that the size and feel of the bowl adds to the enjoyment of the pipe. For me, gurgling comes when I smoke too fast or I'm mindlessly clenching a pipe and not giving the tobacco a fighting chance to reveal itself.

Reactions: Cleza
Status
Not open for further replies.