Status
Not open for further replies.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
OZcHSty.jpg

Thanks much Capt.

Looking forward to christening this with 40th in the morning.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've seen that shape made by another maker referred to by its online seller as an acorn.
Shape of the chamber makes the difference. Pots are cylindrical, and acorns tend to be conical.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Its is in fact conical... 40th (with a small bed of Deep Hollow) burned perfectly down.
I really would like to know your cleaning methods Capt cause if I didn't know better, I'd have said this was a brand new pipe.

Every part of it was pristine, and thanks much for that.

One both of 40th and the bowl went from a clean raw brain to perfectly black.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I really would like to know your cleaning methods Capt cause if I didn't know better, I'd have said this was a brand new pipe.

Every part of it was pristine, and thanks much for that.
It was smoked less than 10x for sure, and in reality, probably less than 5, so it was pretty much like new.
As far as cleaning goes, I use the 6mm filter, which absorbs a lot of the water (steam), then when the pipe cools, I take out the filter, run a pipe cleaner through it, a gentle scrape with a pipe nail around the bowl, and then twist a folded over (like a loop shape) pipe cleaner around the bowl. Some people wipe a paper towel around the the bowl instead of a pipe cleaner.
A thin cake builds up on the walls after a few dozen smokes, and then they're fully broke in and smoke really well. I'm not a fan of harsh scraping or reaming, and so far I haven't built up enough cake on any of my pipes to warrant it.

coyja

Can't Leave
Feb 10, 2018
Spinning ball of dirt
Is there a standard diameter for the draft hole for Savs?

I discovered tonight that my Roma 305 and Tortuga were 9/64 and 11/64 respectively.

I love both of them, but wondering if this is something that is well known to differ on various models or not?
I bought a Morgan Bones Fat Author recently and Chris suggested that I open it up to 11/64 after some trouble w gurgle.

Worked well and he said that he intentionally keeps the opening narrow so the end user can later expand as desired ( though, this is not iterated when purchased).

I do like the idea, though, in practice. Since I am pretty Savinelli loyal, just generally wondering if there is a standard to consider?

Status
Not open for further replies.