PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Savinelli 140th Anniversary - I decided to give it a try. Crazy good blend. My cellar is now set with this blend. Moisture is just about perfect. Smooth creamy smoke. My senses are too dull to taste the "Floral Essences, Fruit / Citrus" but I can smell the "flavoring" on my clothes. My palete is simply unrefined so I linked the Jim Inks review below. I just know that I am really liking this blend. Listed as an aromatic, but not aromatic at all for me as noted. C & D is now using the burley "florets" in a new "small batch" blend. No bite just smooth taste. I would suggest trying it. Here is the description:
Commemorating 140 years of pipe making tradition, Savinelli's 140th Anniversary Blend is an elegant mixture of red and bright Virginias, spiced with Orientals and choice dark-fired florets from Italy, and infused with subtle notes of citrus and wildflowers for a unique and satisfying smoke.
The special florets used in this blend are a staple in Italian cigar production, and are all grown and double-fermented on a singular farm in the Tuscan Tiber Valley region of Italy— a location recognized for its history and tradition of tobacco cultivation dating back to the 17th century.
Jim Inks:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/10713/savinelli-140th-anniversary

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think this sounds like an example of the best way to do aromatics, where the non-tobacco flavoring is done with a light hand and in close harmony with the forward flavor of quality tobaccos. Long-time examples of the genre would be Edward G. Robinson, Royal Yacht, and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. There is nothing wrong with the more heavily loaded flavored tobaccos, for those who like them, but these probably wear better over time and can appeal to pipe smokers who have gone mostly to non-aromatics but want a change of pace that still features tobacco flavor in the forefront.

Status
Not open for further replies.