PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hello Gents,

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to try both of the above noted blends and can advise if they are similar? The descriptions make it seem like they use the same "dark fired florets", though Savinelli seems to have some sort of flowery top note?

I have a tin of the Savinelli on the way, but feel I missed out on Sansepolcro. I was considering trying to hunt down a tin of it, but if the Savinelli is at all a substitute I probably won't bother.

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: k9shag

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Good question. I've only had the Savinelli but I would assume from my experience with that blend that the Sansepolcro has more... well, Sansepolcro. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in, but the Savinelli blend doesn't seem like it has a ton of the stuff... I do like it quite a bit though. Unique in a good way.

I believe the Sansepolcro has been an annual release the past few years so if you can't score an easy tin, it may re-appear

Reactions: Spinkle

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Good question. I've only had the Savinelli but I would assume from my experience with that blend that the Sansepolcro has more... well, Sansepolcro. Hopefully someone in the know will chime in, but the Savinelli blend doesn't seem like it has a ton of the stuff... I do like it quite a bit though. Unique in a good way.

I believe the Sansepolcro has been an annual release the past few years so if you can't score an easy tin, it may re-appear
Ah ok I thought it was a one-time release that’s good to know that they may do another batch sometime.

Reactions: danimalia
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I've smoked a fair amount of both. While they're distinctly different, they also have a lot of similarities as well. I thought the Sav was better fresh but the Sanselpocro ages incredibly well based on a bowl I smoked provided by a friend. Both are very good and worth investing in.

mityahicks

Nov 18, 2018
I find 140 to have more of a citrus profile and it is really refreshing.

Sansepolcro is a bit more Stout and less aromatic. That said, I love both. I would put 140 at all day status whereas Sansepolcro I would only want 1 or 2 bowls.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I've smoked a fair amount of both. While they're distinctly different, they also have a lot of similarities as well. I thought the Sav was better fresh but the Sanselpocro ages incredibly well based on a bowl I smoked provided by a friend. Both are very good and worth investing in.

Agree. I’ve been smoking both lately. The top note on the 140 is nice... enough to make it a different experience. I feel like Sansepolcro is Virginia dominant. The dark fired is very light in the mix.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Hello Gents,

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to try both of the above noted blends and can advise if they are similar? The descriptions make it seem like they use the same "dark fired florets", though Savinelli seems to have some sort of flowery top note?

I have a tin of the Savinelli on the way, but feel I missed out on Sansepolcro. I was considering trying to hunt down a tin of it, but if the Savinelli is at all a substitute I probably won't bother.

Thanks for your input.
I happened to stumble upon the video below earlier today that provides a good overview of the tobacco itself as well as the two blends (i.e., Sansepolcro and Savinelli 140th Anniversary) made with it. Hope this helps provide a bit more clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.