PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
So, I had purchased a nice, little Hilson bulldog last year -- a new / old pipe from P&C. A few weeks ago, I was putting the stem back into the shank after cleaning and heard that dreaded little click -- you know instantly that the shank cracked, but still you look, hoping against hope that it was not what you thought. Of course, it was.
For a short while, I gave some thought to attempting to use superglue to repair the crack. Instead, I decided that I liked this little pipe too much and that I should get it repaired properly. I sent it off to Tim West. Ten days later, I got my little pipe back with a nickel band and I'm as happy as a dog with two tails. Because it is a diamond-shanked bulldog, banding this was not, I imagine, straight-forward. It looks great -- the band is a classy touch. Great job I think.
20150601_200131-600x337.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Congrats on getting your pipe fixed up! Tim has done a few repairs for me that I didn't feel comfortable trying myself.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you have a pipe you really enjoy, whether an expensive one or not, and it needs a significant repair, I think it is always worth having done right, better than a new pipe, in that you know this one is enjoyable for you. And, it would be hard to beat a well known pipe carver to put your pipe back in action.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Agreed. This was not a high end pipe but I like it very much.
Also, I am not a huge fan of our disposable culture. If something can be repaired and its life extended I prefer to do so.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, I've got one with a cracked shank but not from pushing or pulling the stem. I knocked it off the rack and it hit a hardwood floor.

I will be sending it to someone, not sure who, yet, for a band or suggested repair.

I read that forum member georgeg georged? is awesome and has an internal fix.

I've had some work done by Howard Shulte in Vero Beach.

Probably I'll just get a band and be done with it...I hate to modify the original appearance. A Brebbia RokRoot.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
In my exuberance, I did not look too carefully at the new band. It is sterling, not nickel.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Tim West is golden and is also one of the finest men you'll ever want to meet, but our favorite son of Missouri, ejames, has some mad Ninja skills when it comes to pipe repair.
Take a look at this thread:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/comoys-blue-riband
This is a fellow forum member who can raise the dead.
Fnord

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Tim West is golden and is also one of the finest men you'll ever want to meet, but our favorite son of Missouri, ejames, has some mad Ninja skills when it comes to pipe repair.
Thanks Jim,but I am no no longer doing refurbs or repairs. I closed down that part of my shop about a month ago. It got to be too much like a job,something that at my age I do not need or want. I have a bunch of my own pipes to work on--some have been sitting down there for 3-4 years and I want to spend more of my shop time making an occasional pipe or tamper.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
You can never go wrong with some good silver work. Glad you saved it, congratulations on being patient, Wilson. That is something I am still having to work on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.