PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Carter Hall is to Burley as _______ is to Virginia.

I like some sweetness in my blends, OTC burleys and the like. Edward G. Robinson is an aro, but a lot of tobacco flavor still, Bald Headed Teacher as well.
I know Virginias have their own natural sweetness, but what would you recommend as a Virginia-forward blend with maybe a bit of sweetness added?

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Gold Rush is a good pick. It's pretty tobacco forward but not because it doesn't have a bit o flavor added. More like that flavor picks up and enhances what the tobacco naturally does. It's a favorite of mine. It's lemon and honey flavored which are the natural flavor profiles of the type of VAs used. And it reminds me of adding both to tea (lemon and honey). As in you notice them there but they should help the tea flavors not cover them up.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Gold Rush is a good pick. It's pretty tobacco forward but not because it doesn't have a bit o flavor added. More like that flavor picks up and enhances what the tobacco naturally does. It's a favorite of mine. It's lemon and honey flavored which are the natural flavor profiles of the type of VAs used. And it reminds me of adding both to tea (lemon and honey). As in you notice them there but they should help the tea flavors not cover them up.
^^^ This

Note: My SAT score would've been a lot better had questions like this actually been on the test, FWIW.

Last edited:

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Thanks for the suggestions!
Any more cased/topped Virginias with checking out? I’m eager to get into Virginias more this summer and hopeful these will prove a helpful introduction.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Go on the smoking pipes website and type sweet virginia into their search bar. 8 pages of mostly virginias pop up and you can read about them at your leisure.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
Go on the smoking pipes website and type sweet virginia into their search bar. 8 pages of mostly virginias pop up and you can read about them at your leisure.
Hm. Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems little more than random; I get Bengal Slices, Latakia Flake, Double Pressed Burley, etc. it my first page of search results.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Hm. Thanks for the suggestion, but it seems little more than random; I get Bengal Slices, Latakia Flake, Double Pressed Burley, etc. it my first page of search results.
Learning about different blends is not a bad thing. There are 8 pages of blends, many of them touch upon your criteria. No offense but members have made suggestions and it is also worthwhile to explore on your own.

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I'm posting here in case anyone down the road benefits from my suggestions, but you already have a sample of these headed your way. They're not all straight Virginias, but Va forward enough for my needs:

Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake (very sweet, almost a coconut/caramel flavor)
Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake (stoved or with some age on it sweetens it up, fresh is a bit grassy)
Newminster 400 (malty, graham cracker flavor, imexpensive and ages extremely well)
Reiner Long Golden Flake (sweet and floral, just a beautiful tobacco)

One last suggestion, which I didn't include as a sample as it might have imparted flavor to the others, is Firedance Flake from Samuel Gawith. That's a controversial one, sort of love it or hate it. The base tobacco is Best Brown Flake, a rich, mildly sweet bready Va. It's flavored with blackberry, brandy, and vanilla, so it's a full on aromatic made from a wonderful Va. Plenty of people hate it, but I love it. It tastes the way blackberry vines smell on a hot summer day. It's sweet without being a goopy aromatic and you can still pick up the quality base tobacco. Plus, it's one of the few Samuel Gawith blends that has lingering availability after most of the other ones have been snatched up in a frenzy.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I'm posting here in case anyone down the road benefits from my suggestions, but you already have a sample of these headed your way. They're not all straight Virginias, but Va forward enough for my needs:

Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake (very sweet, almost a coconut/caramel flavor)
Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake (stoved or with some age on it sweetens it up, fresh is a bit grassy)
Newminster 400 (malty, graham cracker flavor, imexpensive and ages extremely well)
Reiner Long Golden Flake (sweet and floral, just a beautiful tobacco)

One last suggestion, which I didn't include as a sample as it might have imparted flavor to the others, is Firedance Flake from Samuel Gawith. That's a controversial one, sort of love it or hate it. The base tobacco is Best Brown Flake, a rich, mildly sweet bready Va. It's flavored with blackberry, brandy, and vanilla, so it's a full on aromatic made from a wonderful Va. Plenty of people hate it, but I love it. It tastes the way blackberry vines smell on a hot summer day. It's sweet without being a goopy aromatic and you can still pick up the quality base tobacco. Plus, it's one of the few Samuel Gawith blends that has lingering availability after most of the other ones have been snatched up in a frenzy.

Amazing! Thank you so much!!

Reactions: MarcosEZLN
Just a suggestion although there is no sweet casing on this one, you might grab an ounce of Sutliff 515-RC-1. It's a red Virginia with a huge natural sweetness and nice complexity. Some compare it to a slightly inferior McClelland 5100. It's sold in bulk so you can just grab an ounce on your next order to try it out. Some people on here love this stuff.

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
If you're open to more suggestions, I'd say Gawith Hoggarth's Glengarry Flake would satisfy your sweet Virginia desires AND be a great introduction to Lakelands as an all-Virginia with honey and light floral toppings. I enjoy OGS, LNF, and similar, and when I tried Glengarry I was VERY happy. It's not easy to find these days, but worth keeping an eye out for.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Just a suggestion although there is no sweet casing on this one, you might grab an ounce of Sutliff 515-RC-1. It's a red Virginia with a huge natural sweetness and nice complexity. Some compare it to a slightly inferior McClelland 5100. It's sold in bulk so you can just grab an ounce on your next order to try it out. Some people on here love this stuff.
I think with a little age it is a good analog to 5100. It will never be 5100 but it doesn't need to be 5100 to be a good smoke. I have some with 3 or 4 years on it and it is a favorite.

Reactions: Puff nstuff