Sasquatch...Do You Believe They Exist? Have You Encountered One?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I recently went hiking with my son and we noticed a few trees snapped in half. Jokingly, I said "Look, Sasquatch was here" and that became a running joke throughout the hike.

I don't believe they exist. I've never seen one. Maybe they exist, maybe they don't. What are your thoughts?

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
I have a squatch sticker on the back of my F150 (along with my NRA and Smith & Wesson stickers, lol); for me it's not so much if you believe in them or not, it's how much fun you get out of the whole thing. Ever been to a bigfoot festival? They're a blast! I go to one in Marion NC every year. To me it's a lot like professional wrestling...it's certainly true that a man picking up and throwing another 300 lb man is not fake, but its the hoopla and show (which is fake) that people get into it for because its fun; "believing" in bigfoot is fun. Just my opinion of course.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I doubt it. But, ?‍♂️
I do think there may have been something at one point in time, and oral history may have preserved the memory of it, resulting in all of the legends and tall tales. I mean, there were several other hominin that coexisted with H. sapiens throughout the years, most went extinct so long ago as to have only been relatively recently “rediscovered”: neanderthalensis, the denisovans, etc. A particularly interesting one is the “hobbit.“ The oral history of the people on the island of Flores is that the “hobbit,” H. Floresiensis, only died out (or were intentionally killed off, according to their story) just before the time that Portuguese sailors first made contact with the island, which would’ve been early 1500s. They called them “ebu go go.” The youngest remains found date to about 50,000 years ago, however, so ?‍♂️

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I’d say most likely not but anything is possible. I find it hard to believe that an animal much larger than a human could remain hidden even to this day in 2020. But as I said... crazier shit has been true so I wouldn’t be surprised.

I’ve seen some footage from a guy in Canada that shows something moving through the snow on a mountainside quite easily and quickly and it sure doesn’t seem like it could be a person

I remember watching Ledgend of Boggy Creek, as a kid, which is what set off the whole thing on a national level. Great movie, scared me to death and talking about it with friends camping in the woods behind the house brought chill bumps that’d last all night,
When you look back on provable history, the guys who made the footprints and the guy who made the iconic pictures all confessed later in life. And, a lot of history is fabricated. I think that people making money off the legend are keeping the idea alive. And, like Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, and bipartisanship, it’s good to keep myths alive.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I've always wanted Sasquatch, Bigfoot, Yeti, Swamp-Apes etc to be real. The idea that there's a big unknown hominid creeping around in an otherwise human-infested world is appealing to me. But one of the things that bothers me lately is that absolutely everyone has a camera now, and while filming things used to be a real rarity, it's a daily occurrence now even in remote areas (with drones etc). And there's basically no new evidence showing up, and there should be ... something. So I'm finding it harder to continue my belief or my hope that there is something out there.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Species leave remains. Though it is fun to visualize creatures that are much like us, but don't leave remains, that is the fact. Whether it is surviving dinosaurs in Scottish lakes, extra small little people in Ireland, or erect walking primates in cold climates, the truth remains, if they don't die, they don't live. However, being also a metaphoric and symbolic thinker (if there is such a thing) I believe the mythic aspect of Big Foot is important and valuable to people, like Greek mythology, and serves some purpose in recognizing what we don't know or understand, which is very real indeed.

Misanthrope

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2020
Texas
Oh, yeah. He’s a nice guy, Garry Saskatchvili, likes to be called Harry. Used to work in a circus as a strongman. Came here all the way from Georgia after the Soviet Union collapsed, with the dream of being a NBA player. Didn’t work out ‘cause of the hypertrichosis, he’s a hardcore nudist (“No need clothing when I have magnificent pelt!”, he’s fond of saying), and the fact that he’s built like a corn-fed linebacker on steroids, so he decided to settle down in the PNW and indulge in his deep love of the outdoors. I don’t know why people are so obsessed with him and call him rude names like Bigfoot and Daryl.

Status
Not open for further replies.