PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I found this Sasieni at the NYC Pipe show yesterday and picked it up for a song. At home, I examined the nomenclature with a lighted 40x loupe and was puzzled not to find the name of an English town. The pipe is stamped "Four Dot" and "London Made". So I new it was a family-era pipe made between '46 and '79. There is some faint stamping that under magnification was revealed as "Viscount Lascelles" with a strong "XS". The pipe looked like an easy restoration and it was. The Stephen Smith article on Sasieni describes the Viscount Lascelles as rare and I found Neill Archer Roan wrote an essay on one in his collection, as his first entry on the Passion for Pipes blog.
It wasn't a challenging restoration, but here's the article on the Reborn Pipes blog and some photos.

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2014/03/09/sasieni-viscount-lascelles-xs-restoration/
sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished.jpg

sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished-4.jpg

sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished-7.jpg

sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished-6.jpg

sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished-5.jpg

sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished-3.jpg

sasieni_four_dot_xs_finished-1.jpg

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Nice Al! The Viscount Lascelles is a much sought after shape. The Regent is the other very nice bent from Sasieni, a little smaller. The X was for, I believe, as Sasieni said in their literature, "This Shape Premium Priced In All Ranges". The S should be a saddle stem, but inconsistency in stamping, I think, did happen, especially in regard to what actually went out the door!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I smoked the pipe for the first time this evening, with some MM965. Wow, what a a wonderful experience. No ghosting, the stem is a real delight. I also smoked a new Rad Davis this week and this one stands head and shoulders with that pipe. I was tempted to resell this one, but not a chance now. I must be addicted to old British briar.

Status
Not open for further replies.