PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Took a gamble on this one, but was happy to discover it was a Patent era pipe, completely with original stinger. Dave confirmed my date estimate of the late 20's to pre-WWII

The stinger was a PITA to remove, but I did get it out without any damage.

I suppose the gouges in the briar could be refilled, but I didn't want to risk not matching the original finish.

My 10th year as a pipe smoker was Friday, I was so busy with work it came and went. But, I enjoyed this one out on the patio last night.

Full details here:

Attachments

• Sasieni_Putney_Before (1).JPG
    Sasieni_Putney_Before (1).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Sasieni_Putney_Before (2).JPG
    Sasieni_Putney_Before (2).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Sasieni_Putney_Before (3).JPG
    Sasieni_Putney_Before (3).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Sasieni_Putney_Before (7).JPG
    Sasieni_Putney_Before (7).JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 18

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Not bad at all for the price you paid. I was following that auction as well but so many great pipes have been making appearances online you really have to pick and choose your 'battles' these days.

Reactions: trouttimes

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
Nice restoration work, I can’t believe that you remember the actual day you smoked a pipe for the first time. Best I can recall is that my first pipe was in the summer of 1991.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Are we one day going to click on one of Al's restoration threads and say 'boy, he really messed up this one'? I don't think so.

That's a cool old pipe that you did a respectful job of cleaning up Al. Very nice, as always.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Nice restoration work, I can’t believe that you remember the actual day you smoked a pipe for the first time. Best I can recall is that my first pipe was in the summer of 1991.
Well, May 1st is when I bought the pipe, I suppose a few days later was when I smoked it. (I save to PDF all of my pipe purchases and log it into a spreadsheet....that's grown quite scary to view)

Status
Not open for further replies.