PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeyweb

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2013
img_2904-600x450.png

Based on the nomenclature, did I buy a fake 1980s Sasieni?

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Wondering if I made a good buy, or just bought an 80 dollar basket pipe!

img_2902-600x450.png

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm the opposite of an "expert," but what makes you think it's fake? I doubt if anyone would want to fake a late-period Sasieni when they could just as well fake a more valuable, older one.

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Good point, but the "S" doesn't look the similar to other Sasienis I have seen.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Looks very nice. I don't see any fills. If that's the case, then $80 bucks is a fair enough price for an unsmoked "first."

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Haha. Well, thanks. That helps. I will enjoy my expensive genuine basket pipe then!

smokeyweb

Dec 29, 2013
Haha. No offense taken. This was an impulse purchase, which I generally try to avoid, but I liked the shape and looks of the pipe so I jumped. I never buy a pipe with resale in mind... just thought the nomenclature looked atypical. Thanks for the response, guys!

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
I would not say a fake at all, just a later post-family era pipe, as you say, 1980's.
The nomenclature changed again in 1986, with the sale of the company to the Post-Transition firm. The three line nomenclature was changed to two lines, with the first reading “Sasieni 4 Dot” and the second identifying the finish, e.g. Natural, Walnut, or Ruff Root. Note how 4 Dot is spelled, using an Arabic numeral 4, as opposed to spelling out the word “four”. This is the easiest way to spot a Post-Transition Sasieni, as the new company has used both script and block lettering to spell the word “Sasieni” on the shank.
https://pipedia.org/wiki/Sasieni

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
How about this one:

s-l1600.jpg

I can't recall seeing a Four Dot "NATURAL" Ruff Root? Or are they just more rare? Natural finish pipes to me have always been smooth, right?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Looks correct to me Al.
When the company was sold in 1979, one of the first things the new owners did was to eliminate the town names from the shanks. The dots were enlarged yet further, and the Sasieni name, though still done in script, was larger, as was the rest of the shank nomenclature, which in all other ways was similar to the Pre-Transition nomenclature. While these pipes are not as collectible as the family made pipes, they were made with care and are high quality.
So 52G (Giant?, most likely) the Hurlingham shape.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo smo
Your pipe looks fine to me, even if a Collector (caps) wouldn't chase it. I have a similarly marked Sasieni, and it smokes very well. More than a basket pipe to me (not to say I don't have several basket pipes that puff well)
hp

les

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I'm not against basket pipes, I have two no-name pipes that smoke very well, but I've had quite a few that were trash. I'm saying that because the OP asked specifically if this were a basket pipe. I also have 4 Dot Sasieni and it smokes great.

Status
Not open for further replies.