PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I’d like to educate myself on the Sasieni brand as I’m finding the more classic shapes more interesting. Sasieni is very well thought of, but as of yet I’ve not purchased one and want to know how to rate them as far as quality/value. I’m sure there are a few here who can direct me, so thanks in advance and I look forward to your direction.☕

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
A later post-family era pipe.

"The nomenclature changed again in 1986, with the sale of the company to the Post-Transition firm. The three line nomenclature was changed to two lines, with the first reading “Sasieni 4 Dot” and the second identifying the finish, e.g. Natural, Walnut, or Ruff Root. Note how 4 Dot is spelled, using an Arabic numeral 4, as opposed to spelling out the word “four”. This is the easiest way to spot a Post-Transition Sasieni, as the new company has used both script and block lettering to spell the word “Sasieni” on the shank."

Sasieni - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Sasieni

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
A later post-family era pipe.

"The nomenclature changed again in 1986, with the sale of the company to the Post-Transition firm. The three line nomenclature was changed to two lines, with the first reading “Sasieni 4 Dot” and the second identifying the finish, e.g. Natural, Walnut, or Ruff Root. Note how 4 Dot is spelled, using an Arabic numeral 4, as opposed to spelling out the word “four”. This is the easiest way to spot a Post-Transition Sasieni, as the new company has used both script and block lettering to spell the word “Sasieni” on the shank."

Sasieni - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Sasieni
Thank you!!!!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Yep, you want to buy "Four Dot" stamped pipes, as opposed to "4 Dot" (later era). Many times sellers don't have a clue and indeed "4 Dot" pipes came with "Four Dot" boxes and bags. So there's always confusion, sometimes to an informed buyers benefit. Super-deep blue color dots (and larger in size) are usually the dead giveaway. I love my Four Dot stems, some of the best the Brits had to offer (by my experience).

Having said that, I've never smoked a 4 Dot pipe. So, who knows what I'm missing...

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
As was noted above, pipe in the auction is a post transition pipe.

IIRC they were made in France, and marketed as a run of the mill smoker capitalizing on the brand name and the “Four Dot” reputation.

Unfortunately the quality of these pipes is not in the same arena as those made by prior manufacturers of these pipes. Hence the $33 bid with 2 hours to go.

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
I used to dislike the Sasieni pipes thinking the blast was too odd. Boy was I wrong! I now have six total with two of them being patent pipes. All, and I mean ALL, are great smokers. Mine are all Four Dot Family Era and not the younger 4 Dot. Can't speak from any experience with the younger pipes, but the older pipes (1946-1979 and earlier) are great smokers. I have :

Prince shape 104 (1920-1936)
Appledore Four Dot (Apple)
Danzey Four Dot (Bent Bulldog)
Wingate Four Dot (Pot)
Oom Paul XS Four Dot
Royal Briar (Made by Sasieni stamped ) 46R shape Bent Billiard

My recommendation would be, if the price is good and it is stamped Four Dot and from the Family Era. Start collecting.....Enjoy

Reactions: dmcmtk

doro

Might Stick Around
Dec 11, 2019
japan
Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Iwan Ries 2020 catalog had a half page of 40% off Sasieni pipes for $81 to $117, nine different shapes, but I'm sure they are all gone by now, and the brand isn't listed at their web site. Same deal but somewhat lower prices on the same page for GBD pipes, also not on web site. Seemed like really good deals on good English pipes, "Catalog Closeouts." English pipes just have that certain panache.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
What I like about Sasieni (family era and before) is that they not only kept the top line (four dot) a high classed pipe (superb briar cured with a patent process, no fills, excellent and comfortable stems, etc) they also claimed to have treated the briar in their seconds/third line the same as the top line. It may have a very small pit or a fill but it was cured with the same process as the top line.
Sasieni shapes also speak to me and they smoke wonderfully.
I remember the first one I smoked (a four dot bulldog or Danzey). I was a Dunhill man and was trying something different. It was a horrible experience and I was going to bin it but made a commitment to smoke it 20 times before I got rid of it. Every time I grabbed it, it was grudgingly. I did not look forward to smoking that pipe. On the fifth smoke something very unexpected happened. I had a most wonderful smoke that topped all other experiences previously. That was it. I was converted. I still have a Dunhill Bruyere 1950 but it rarely gets action. I reach for a sasieni made pipe 99/100.

Status
Not open for further replies.