PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Stopped by the Briar Shop today and picked some up.

It smells like standing in a smoke house, amd tastes that way as well. Very oaky and almost salty. This is some good smoke.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Are you referring to Balkan Sasieni, or the new version of Balkan Sobraine...or some other blend?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Balkan Sasieni is good. I got some from my Secret Santa, and I like it a lot. It's not a Lat-powerhouse, but it's certainly complex enough to keep me engaged during the smoke. I never had the original Balkan Sobranie that it is supposedly modeled after, so I can't comment on that. In my opinion, though, it's way better than the Arango version of Balkan Sobranie. This isn't to say the "new" Arango blend is bad, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Balkan Sasieni.
-Jason

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
In my opinion, though, it's way better than the Arango version of Balkan Sobranie. This isn't to say the "new" Arango blend is bad, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Balkan Sasieni.
Yeah, I believe I've seen similar comments by others before, which is why I haven't really been in a big hurry to try the "new" Sobraine.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I really need to get some Balkan Saseini again. I smoked a ton of it for a while, but then got away from it.
I have smoked the original Balkan Sobranie (the white), but it has been so darned long ago I don't remember what it tastes like, so I can't compare it to Saseini.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
It is painful to admit this, but I'm not too proud to seek help when in dire need. Hell, maybe it's even good news.
Two minutes ago, while digging around to see what Christmas Cheer and Anniversary vintages I have, I discovered a long forgotten open pouch of "Original Formula Balkan Smoking Mixture" from Sasieni. One of those 50 gram plastic pouches. I have a memory of buying this in the mid '90s, when I was new to pipes, and not surviving my first bowl of it.
Needless to say the tobacco inside the pouch today has the texture of kindling. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the aroma is divine.
Can this be salvaged? I have rehydrated tobaccos before, but nothing that's practically half my age.
Thanks,

Jay

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Briar:
How long will one of the Boveda humi-packs take? I've had great luck with the distilled water/paper towel/plastic tub/Saran Wrap method.
Fnord

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've used the coins before, Roth, and found them great for pipe tobacco when out in the boonies for extended walks. (A splash from a canteen and they're recharged after a quick soak in my Sierra cup.) But, the distilled water/paper towel/plastic tub/Saran Wrap method is my hands down favorite. I can take one of Susie's Tupperware containers and have crispy tobacco smokeable within 10 to 12 hours. It's just brilliantly simple and one of the coolest things I've learned here in the past year and a half.
Jay, PM sent.
Fnord

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
If I were you, I would open a tin or pouch of something in that same vain and mix the two. I learned this from following Rich Esserman in various pipe publications. Seems to work much better than re-hydrating it, to me.
Mike Stanley

briarfriar

Can't Leave
Mike, I don't disagree with your advice, but I'm keen to see how the refreshed Balkan Sasieni tastes, and if I can handle it now that I'm a much more experienced pipe smoker.
Fnord, lemme get back to you in a sec.
Regarding the small round humidifiers, I've never had any luck with those things, and ceased using them years ago. The wet-towel-over-the-bowl method has given me mixed results, although I haven't tried it with plastic wrap. When I have attempted it, the results were satisfactory to a point. It freshens the dry leaf, but doesn't seem to really revive it. I find the Boveda packs provide revivification. I liken it to the needs of a man lost in the desert, dying of thirst. He doesn't want to take a shower (towel over the bowl), he needs to drink half a gallon of water (Boveda). YMMV.
Anyway, I brought home a Boveda from De La Concha today, with a pouch of their Warhorse tobacco mixture, and I'm about to play God and restore life to this pouch of Balken Sasieni.
Jay

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
"...I'm about to play God and restore life to this pouch of Balken Sasieni."
Your comment made me think of God reaching out to Adam's hand on the Sistine Chapel, Jay. Best of luck to you.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.