PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Hello all

I've made do with a small number of pipes for decades, but now that I have more disposable income, have begun trying to put together a fleet of reputable smokers. Hence the purchase of a Sasieni 4 dot estate --- a very handsome Prince, no complaints about the draw or the taste, but I don't want a gurgler that I have to run through with a pipe cleaner every 5 minutes, as is the case with this one. No, I'm not a clencher so I'm not breathing back into the stem. So I don't get it. This pipe is supposed to have a great reputation behind it. Any ideas out there as to why it smokes so wet ?
I've been advised by one sage to stick with old pipes cuz the briar is better. So far my experiences with such pipes have not been uniformly satisfactory.
Pipes remain a large mystery to me !

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
4 Dot or Four Dot? As to gurgle, how dry is the tobacco you are smoking?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I've been advised by one sage to stick with old pipes cuz the briar is better. So far my experiences with such pipes have not been uniformly satisfactory.
I've heard this same line many times. Not surprisingly, it is always by collectors with focus on old Brit Wood. There is a lot of truth to this, but I'm not fully convinced. Please (please) smoke what you like, like what you smoke, and like to smoke. Then you will develop your own story along the way.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Collecting estate pipes is a crap shoot. I imagine if you find one out there it could have been a stinker. It happens. Maybe the very reason it’s on the market in the first place.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
A was mentioned, the moisture of the tobacco is a big factor.
The “4” dots were manufactured in France, by Comoys, I believe.
In the summer where I live, Minneapolis, MN, I have to leave my tobacco sit out overnight in the air conditioned house to dry before I can smoke it, as the humidity outside moistens it as I smoke. And I occasionally have to run a cleaner through it even though I’ve dried it.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I had one pipe that began as a gurgler and, as it broke in, got better and better.
I know you said yours is an estate pipe, but you may run into a similar situation if yours was only lightly smoked or reamed and "restored" heavily.
jay-roger.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
4 Dot pipes (vs Four Dot) have a diminished reputation and are definitely not as collectible. I've never owned one, so I can't comment on how they smoke. I suspect the quality is not as consistent, but there has to be some keepers in that era.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Anyway, pics would help, show us the various drillings, the tenon, inside the mortise, all that good stuff, then maybe there's a fix.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
The tobacco was a straight VA flake, not dry but not wet.
Pipe is a Four Dot, or FOUR DOT, sorry but the pipe is out in my studio at the moment. It was made between '35 and '79 for sure, because those dates began and ended the practice of stamping a town name on side of shank ; in the case of my pipe it is BOWLER.
In response to npod "but I'm not convinced". Based on limited experience I agree. Have had negative experience with several British estates. I have italian pipes of recent vintage that require zero pipe cleaner over a 90 minute Va flake.
Anyway am going to try smoking an oriental to see if that makes any difference.....hope against hope.
Mycroft thanks for the suggestion , as those were not on my radar at all. I wonder if those little volcanic rock stones are available still. Had some once but never got in the habit.
Sasquatch -- will try to provide photos, if I can make my through the required technology.!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I had one pipe that began as a gurgler and, as it broke in, got better and better.
That is very much my experience. As you smoke dry tobacco, and most of the way down, you'll be slowly drying out the briar, which may have been under-cured, or smoked wet a long time. Patience!
And good luck. Enjoy!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Some pipes are just poorly made and will gurgle no matter what. Dry your tobacco to dust and it could still gurgle. If you find after drying it doesn't help, just unload the pipe.
I will not have a gurgler in my collection. Anytime I got one it was dumped immediately. Since I began collecting artisan made pipes, I have not run into a gurgler. If I could enjoy acrylic stems I would own a dozen Castello's. They are made correctly from great briar.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I had a Peterson Royal that was a wet smoker. It had a p-lip and gurgled every single time. Loved the briar, hated the engineering.
I had Anthony @ Cooks make a non-replica stem + lengthened the stem by 3/4". It's now dry as a bone and one of my absolute favorites. I still have the original stem, but the new one fixed the problem. Something to think about and may be a less expensive solution.
After pics:

65303971_3008367552537560_5230029745613176832_n.jpg

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
These images are at the request of Sasquatch . Can't imagine these would shed much light on the problem, but here they are :
sasieni-4-150x112.jpg
sasieni-1-150x112.jpg
sasieni-2-150x112.jpg

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I need to see the end of the tenon, and a straight shot into the mortise, with flash. I want to see the airway position in the mortise.
That pipe is dead simple, something has to be physically wrong with it if it's terrible. Only thing I can think of is that the airway is pinched in the stem, that it was not treated carefully with bending, but even then..

Status
Not open for further replies.