PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Had a relapse of the cold-flu virus going around. Since daytime tv usually consists of cooking, home decorating and shopping channels, Imagine my delight when I stumbled across Sargent Preston! It was totally hokey, poor acting, bad sets, and totally believable to a little boy in the 50's. The.coloring was so old, the snow was pink colored. I was in hog heaven!
The best part was the villian - a monster of a man who smoked a pipe. Of course, King saved the day. Life was so simple, good was good and always prevailed. Mush you huskies!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am embarrassed to admit, not only did I see the old Sargent Preston TV show, but before that, I ... heard it on the radio! I also had lunch with George Washington ... well, not that last part.

framitz

Can't Leave
Oct 25, 2013
On the radio in the forties gun smoke the shadow superman et al. The years of imagination loved it all. Shel

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
Ah, the days.
One of my guilty pleasures is watching the old "Superman" series on MeTv whenever time, and a good pipe, allows. Perry White's office seemed HUGE back in the day.
Amazing how a bunch of padded suits and $40.00 sets still have the power to hold their own.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Also on the radio, Johnny Dollar the detective, and what was the horror story show? Lights Out, something like that. And yes, I heard Gunsmoke too.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The Adv. of Superman TV show is still one of my favorite series. As for Sergeant Preston or as the show was titled on radio, The Challenge of the Yukon, here's a link for free radio shows: https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Challenge_of_the_Yukon_Singles
Mso489: Gunsmoke was better on radio than it was on TV. William Conrad as Matt Dillon was absolutely great! You can download the series (nearly all the shows survive) for free: https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Certified_Gunsmoke

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
"Gunsmoke was better on radio than it was on TV"
I couldn't agree more. And it wasn't just William Conrad, fantastic as he was; the entire ensemble was terrific.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
jguss: I agree. Howard McNear was terrific as Doc Addams. He had a dark sarcastic sense of humor. On radio the character was named Charles Addams after the cartoonist who created The Adams Family. On TV, they called him "Galen" Adams with one "d". Parley Baer, who played Chester Proudfoot on radio, was great, too. On TV, they ignored the fact that Chester was half Indian. I like Dennis Weaver as Chester, but he wasn't as good as Parley Baer was on radio.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
What is surprising is Gunsmoke didn't begin until 1952 and ran until 1962. It and the TV show frequently shared scripts.
I loved the Shadow, Nick Carter Master Detective, Philo Vance, Nero Wolf, etc.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
So glad there's some of us that remember the "good old days". When we go camping no tv is brought, just books on cd. We love sitting around the campfire listening to the stories.
Anyone remember that if there was a nuclear attack all you had to do was get under your desk or turn your face to the wall, or how excited our parents were when the first polio shot came out? I still remember the pictures of the iron lung. Absolutely terrifying!

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
There was some cereal that they advertised on the Sargent Preston wireless show that had a promotion. You sent in two are three box tops, and they sent you a deed for a square foot of property in the Yukon territory. The deed is long gone, but I suppose I still own a little bit of frozen tundra somewhere.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Here's our hero now!
th

Now the question is this: Who is the guy in the hat?

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I remember my oral polio vaccination very well. We walked to the local school building....right after watching on live TV when Oswald shot and killed Jack Ruby.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Right there with you mso489. Those radio serials really rocked. Red Rider, Flash Gordon, etc. What fun :D

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Nachman: I have two friends who each got a square foot of land in the Yukon from that promotion. One of them actually looked into it a few years ago, and discovered all that land is no longer owned by the people who got those deeds. Childhood dreams don't always last, my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.