PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
So I really like sardines. I usually put them on crackers or rye bread. I have a friend who said he likes canned smoked oysters. I've never had the canned oysters. If you like one or the other, how do you enjoy them most?

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I like sardines and smoked oysters. Rye bread is an excellent choice for the sardines, but I usually eat both on crackers.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I don't fancy sardines much, but I do love canned seafood - calamari, sepia, and stuff like that. I love oysters, but for some reason the smoked canned ones are not my cup of tea. I have a can in the fridge for about a year, couldn't pull myself together to open it.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
In bush Alaska canned oysters and fish (herring Kipper Snacks) eaten with Pilot Bread was a normal food for me.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Smoked oysters are good for you , high in zinc , I think
Smoked Atlantic salmon on homemade rye toast , baked with caraway seeds and a salted crust

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Some of my BEST memories as child were eating sardines with my Grandfather while he smoked his pipe. Honestly, it is a major reason I took up the pipe later in life.
Sardines + Saltine Cracker + Liverwurst vs. braunschweiger = YUM!
P.S., maybe a slice of onion, some mustard, sweet pickle, cappers or horseradish also!

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Kippered snacks are good , sardines and yellow mustard
Did you ever wonder why it’s called omega oil ? It is named after the omega fishing company , they at one time , back in the 1940s (?) harvested a lot of small oily fish like sprat . The fish were valued for being processed into industrial lubricants , not as food .
More , at one time fish oil was also processed into margarine , but it fell out of favor after tropical , palm oils made it into the market and were much cheaper .
Of course , based upon what we know now , people are scrambling to get rid of tropical oils and back to natural fish oils.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I also love traditional Danish cuisine or open sandwiches, known as smørrebrød. Especially the pickled fish selections with relish and mustard spreads. When I'm in Denmark, I can't get enough of the stuff with Schnapps.
LmGyyAo.jpg

zU6pTf3.jpg

fXSzbXI.jpg

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Mmmmmm. Love sardines and smoked oysters. However, They nauseated my late wife, so I'd eat them when she was out of the house.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Mackerel are good with plenty of toasts , there’s a local guy here to smokes them
To make better James Bond style toast for caviar , kippers and soft boiled eggs, use a good quality bakers white bread , sliced thin and cut off the crust
Brush with melted butter and then oven at 350 until golden , about 4 to 5 minutes
Cut into triangles for serving

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When in Amsterdam, I encountered the first days of the herring season, and what a treat that was. The fish are fresh and available on the street and at restaurants. Canned sardines are supposed to be great for calcium -- bones, teeth, etc. Shellfish are suspect for raising bad cholesterol, but excellent ... in moderation I'd guess. Kippers are kind of nice. npod, both the food and the presentation on that Danish food is absolutely perfect. Why aren't there Danish restaurants near me? (Or I could learn to assemble something like that myself.) Had a childhood friend, first grade, who was the son of a rising diplomat at the Danish consulate. Such a smart kid in every subject. He gave me a poster of Danish monarchs, and I'd share coke out of a little toy coke machine he had. Torben. I think I had those Danish monarchs on my wall until I went off to college.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
Sardine in olive oil or mustard sauce. Tuna I eat 11 days a month, olive oil only. Herring in wine sauce is excellent. Smoked carp I enjoy once a winter.
Only like oysters fresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.