Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was just doing some clean up and stumbled across a jar that has just a bunch of tail ends of tobacco tins that I wasn't really interested in finishing. I call it my "Whatnot" jar.

I opened it up and it was smelling pretty good and thought I might do something with it so I took it in the kitchen and spread it out on some baking paper on top of a baking sheet and infused it with some 25 year old rum I had in the cabinet (it was nothing special, just 25 years old because I don't drink :) ). I Mixed it up and shoved it into an old press I found at an antique store. The press didn't have a bottom in it so I fashioned one out of pine wood.

After thoroughly mixing the rum infused tobacco, I dumped it in the press and cranked it down until the press started groaning. Based on the volume, I would say it's about 1/3 to 1/4 the size of when I put it in.

Man! does it smell good! Like a very aromatic English with rum, caramel and Vanilla.

All cranked down, it looks like this:

IMG_4650.jpg
IMG_4651.jpg

After about an hour, the juices started seeping out. Good sign?

I think I will keep it in there for a week or so and see what comes out!

There's no loss here if it's a complete failure as I wasn't going to smoke this jar anyway puffy.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I love it how the molasses oozes out. Satisfying eh? In my experience pressing either improves or makes no noticeable flavour difference, but in either case it is a bit of fun and certainly cuts down on storage space needed.

Reactions: sandollars
Status
Not open for further replies.