PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
This is my first pipe. It's stamped "Italy" on the bottom of the shank with no other markings. I picked it out of a basket at a Tinder Box 24 years ago. It has immense sentimental value and smokes as good as any pipe I've had. It is starting to show the wear and tear of time and use however. some of the varnish is flaking off on the rim, and the filler that was used to hide the flaws has been furloughed indefinitely.

I think I'll sand it down and see where I can go from there. Not sure where I'm going with this one but I have a pack of sandpaper 120 to 5000 grit coming in today. Can I sand that oxidization off the stem? I think it's vulcanite. These are the before pics.
IMG_20220804_115944~2.jpgIMG_20220804_120017~2.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chasing embers does an amazing job on oxidized stems, but I don't think sandpaper is part of it, if you can track down one of his posts on the subject. Sanding down the pipe should be fine. You could even leave it unfinished and let it finish itself, which often looks better than an intended finish. I wouldn't sweat the fills, since it is obvious the pipe is sound.

My first pipe, which I still have, and which still looks good and smokes well, was a Tinder Box St. Ives from a French maker, maybe Chacom. It's a smooth bent pot with an unusual vertical saddle stem, a handsome pipe still.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
For oxidation, I soak my stems in OxiClean for a few minutes then wash it real well after. After washing, I sand it up go 2 or 3000, then take it to the buffing wheel. If you don't have a wheel, you could just sand it up to 5000.
It'll look good as new. Oxi does a great job of removing oxidation, just don't soak it too long.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Somehow I think your project is going to go south. I think your knowledge of solvents is rather suspect. I think you would be better of sending it to professional restorer. It'll cost a few bucks but the pipe will still be very smokeable when you get it back.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
For oxidation, I soak my stems in OxiClean for a few minutes then wash it real well after. After washing, I sand it up go 2 or 3000, then take it to the buffing wheel. If you don't have a wheel, you could just sand it up to 5000.
It'll look good as new. Oxi does a great job of removing oxidation, just don't soak it too long.
The bad thing is that it can also pit the material. I don't even use sandpaper or buffers, I just remove the oxidation with a lighter and a wet paper towel and bring it back to a mirror shine with toothpaste.

20180613_180543-1.jpg

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Home Projects (especially pipe projects) like these are bound to fail often, or at least a couple of times when first doing it. If you really love the pipe I would send it to someone knowledgeable like KcGhost said. But if you know that you can be careful it might be worth a try?

autocannon

Lurker
Jul 29, 2012
Indian Trail, NC
Home Projects (especially pipe projects) like these are bound to fail often, or at least a couple of times when first doing it. If you really love the pipe I would send it to someone knowledgeable like KcGhost said. But if you know that you can be careful it might be worth a try?
It may be worth picking up a cheap pipe to experiment with before I start in on my old friend. I'm all about trying new things and learning.

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
The bad thing is that it can also pit the material. I don't even use sandpaper or buffers, I just remove the oxidation with a lighter and a wet paper towel and bring it back to a mirror shine with toothpaste.

View attachment 160914
I've never had any issues (I've actually rarely had to do it, as I usually don't aquire stems in that terrible of shape). But I have been looking for alternatives, as I'm not a fan of the chemicals found in Oxi and figured it had its cons. I have heard alot about the toothpaste method but never used it. Maybe I'll pull out one of my old beaters and give this a try.
Wet sandpaper usually is enough to get my stems in acceptable condition

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never had any issues (I've actually rarely had to do it, as I usually don't aquire stems in that terrible of shape). But I have been looking for alternatives, as I'm not a fan of the chemicals found in Oxi and figured it had its cons. I have heard alot about the toothpaste method but never used it. Maybe I'll pull out one of my old beaters and give this a try.
Wet sandpaper usually is enough to get my stems in acceptable condition
Toothpaste won't remove oxidation, it just brings up the shine.