PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Rustication can be a cover-up or quick-and-easy finish, but it can also be done with excellence that's right up there with good sandblast finishes. Sometimes it's just right for particular pipes. Texture of either kind, or carved, can add a good tactile dimension to a pipe.

mistersea

Lurker
Jul 8, 2016
I'd say my preference is about 50/50, I like 'em equally. A Savinelli rustication or a Stanwell sandblast seem to be weaknesses of mine. Not many smooth finishes in my rotation, two actually. However I think the Qandale 602 smooth finish is my sharpest looking pipe. Heh

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
"Rustication can be a cover-up..."
I believe that is the reason the technique was developed in the first place, to cover-up flaws in the briar which might otherwise render a pipe unsaleable. Further, rusticating tools can be simple and inexpensive (especially when compared to sand-blasting equipment), thereby reducing a pipe-maker's overhead and the individual cost of manufacturing such a pipe.
Personally I view each as separate and distinct finishes, and like them both if well-executed.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I will take a great ring grain blast over rustication any day of the week. To my eye the artisan is spending a lot of time following the grain of the pipe to create a great blast. Rustication just has no rhyme or reason to my eye and I only own one rusticated pipe. My one rusticated pipe is my first pipe, a Savinelli Linea Piu. It smokes great, it just isn't something I care to look at.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I like a good ring grain blast, but Tom Eltang's rustication is pretty amazing. I would take his rustication over his blast any day. It depends from carver to carver. Castello? Rustication. Cooke? Blast all day. Cannoy? Suede.

Status
Not open for further replies.