Samuel Gawith's Kendal Mayor's Collection Chocolate Flake.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Hope this tastes as good as it sounds.
I can't say yet if it does actually taste as good as it sounds, but I do have a tin of the Samuel Gawith Kendal Mayor's Collection Chocolate Flake to try as well. I am a huge chocolate hound and big fan of both the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake and C&D English Chocolate blends. For more good information on chocolate tobacco blends, check out the following threads:
Enjoy!

Reactions: lightmybriar

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I love the stuff, but to many it doesn't "taste as good as it sounds"... For one, it doesn't taste much like chocolate. The latakia is also hard to pick out, as it works more as a subtle condiment. I prefer it very dry, and that usually means waiting a week or two after popping the tin with SG, so patience is a virtue. What it does taste like, imho, is a delicious VaBur with some cigar-ish qualities imparted by the strong, dark VAs and a dry, dark cocoa powder note that comes and goes. Both the cigar and cocoa flavors are boosted by the presence of latakia, although none of those flavors ever jump out to great you, they just kind of walk by with their heads down and you know they were nearby... It's a very subtle and nuanced tobacco with plenty of strength and hints of deeper flavors accompanying the more typical toasty bready nutty natural flavors of the underlying tobacco.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
I love the stuff, but to many it doesn't "taste as good as it sounds"... For one, it doesn't taste much like chocolate. The latakia is also hard to pick out, as it works more as a subtle condiment. I prefer it very dry, and that usually means waiting a week or two after popping the tin with SG, so patience is a virtue. What it does taste like, imho, is a delicious VaBur with some cigar-ish qualities imparted by the strong, dark VAs and a dry, dark cocoa powder note that comes and goes. Both the cigar and cocoa flavors are boosted by the presence of latakia, although none of those flavors ever jump out to great you, they just kind of walk by with their heads down and you know they were nearby... It's a very subtle and nuanced tobacco with plenty of strength and hints of deeper flavors accompanying the more typical toasty bready nutty natural flavors of the underlying tobacco.
You have described the taste & flavors really well. Had my first bowl today. If my taste buds could talk they would say what you wrote. you will be my go to Tobacco guy. good stuff.

Reactions: rushx9

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I also tried the Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake for the first time last night and can't really refute anything that rushx9 stated. Sadly, there definitely isn't any chocolate in the aroma or flavor. I was disappointed about that and overall this blend is just okay for me relative to what I generally like. This tobacco starts toasty with perhaps some deeply hidden cocoa notes (only if one really strains the imagination and is allowed to be swayed by the name on the tin), moves toward some dried black fig/raisin in the middle, then lots of cedar; very peppery in the end along with a hint of bitter black licorice in the aftertaste. The blend mostly seems to be muted/muddled overall and perhaps requires a much more refined tobacco palate to fully enjoy than I currently have. I'll likely revisit this blend in another month or so.

For a truly chocolate experience, I recommend the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake. It has a great milky chocolate flavor. Actually, it might be nice to blend that with the SG Chocolate Flake to bring down the chocolate richness a little bit and increase the underlying tobacco flavors.

Reactions: rushx9

Dandy Pipesmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2020
Switzerland
No burley. Just virginia (2 different types) and latakia (in small quantities).
More than a chocolate flavor I would say cocoa, and not very noticeable, perhaps it depends on the humidity with which you smoke it or it's age.

Not bad, but not exceptional for me. Woth trying.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
For a truly chocolate experience, I recommend the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bob's Chocolate Flake. It has a great milky chocolate flavor.
While I smell chocolate in Bob's, I don't really taste much... There's definitely more of a chocolatey taste than in Sam's, but after the first light, it turns more Lakeland floral and fruity.
This is a totally different direction, but Lane (Edgeworth) Ready Rubbed gives me the most chocolate flavor without being a full-on aromatic. While it doesn't have the strength of the Gawith blends, it still packs a pretty good punch. I would love to have been able to compare the original Edgeworth slices.

Status
Not open for further replies.