PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hello, the site is in German but it is easy to understand, even with a translator.

It seems that SG will stop exporting to the EU after Brexit. Bad news for Europeans

best regards
Gus

Last edited by a moderator:

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009

from the site, copy and paste

"The EU has a regulation toward tobacco including pipe tobacco where 70 % tax is added to products made outside the EU. This is on top of the normal tobacco tax (that has just increased in Denmark), VAT, etc.

Since England decided to exit the EU, a company like Samuel Gawith will be considered an 'outside EU tobacco product supplier' and must comply with different taxation. In short this means a tin from Samuel Gawith in 2021 will cost around 300-350 DKK or approx. 60 USD/50 EUR. Simply because it is now an 'outside EU pipe tobacco'. This is also why we don't carry any of the many American made brands here in Denmark."

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
now costs about 10 euros per tin in Spain, C&D and GL Pease cigars were brought in at 22 euros per tin and stayed in the tobacconists for years...no one was buying. Why?

Simple, for the amount of 2 tins, I buy almost 4 from Samoking poipes and, even with shipping, it is cheaper than two in Spain.

In Spain tobacco is highly regulated by the State, a price of 50/60 USD is not bearable.

In addition, the State does not allow retailers to buy, everything is controlled by them, they can only buy from 2 or three companies in Spain, always under their control, and it is very complicated to get permission.

Years ago a company started to bring G&H, Ratrays, Dunhill, DAN etc, the price was set by the state, between 8 and 10 euros a can, then it brought the Americans at 22 euros.... after 6 months it closed down.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
hahahaha...I wish, my cellar is fine for now and I live in a paradise, most of my purchases, 90% are from somoking pipes, today I made the last one...someday I will go to New York, but for work to the art gallery that represents me or to San Francisco where another one represents me, meanwhile, I will take care of my cellar.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Not sure of the details but there’s possibly another issue regarding VAT that has been playing havoc with imports / exports between the UK and EU as well. I.e. who bears the cost and paperwork for collection. Not sure if that is an additional concern or not?

Trade barriers, tariffs, taxes and such can destroy a market and any companies trying to navigate the minefield. On top of the actual demand or lack thereof, profit margins and of course, public opinion for smoking, etc.

Hopefully SG can withstand the hit from losing a big market share....

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Isn't it less that they are going to stop exporting, and more about EU countries don't think there's a justifiable market to order tins that will retail at $60USD?

A retailer can still order from them, they just have to hope the market is there to purchase at the new cost.
This may be the case but everywhere has their own packaging requirements and other regulations. SG may have determined that with the massive increase in prices they couldn’t sell enough to to justify the compliance costs.

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
One possible good thing to come of this may benefit US markets. If EU is not gonna be bringing in any more SG supposedly because of cost, then it stands to reason that a good portion of the balance of the stock that would otherwise go for sale in the EU will come to ??? ☕
I hope this is the case but I think the problem was with the US importer not ordering enough.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Not sure of the details but there’s possibly another issue regarding VAT that has been playing havoc with imports / exports between the UK and EU as well. I.e. who bears the cost and paperwork for collection. Not sure if that is an additional concern or not?

Trade barriers, tariffs, taxes and such can destroy a market and any companies trying to navigate the minefield. On top of the actual demand or lack thereof, profit margins and of course, public opinion for smoking, etc.

Hopefully SG can withstand the hit from losing a big market share....
might explain why they're acting like the American market is important now.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you, Gus, but where do you live now?

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Gus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
Thank you, Gus, but where do you live now?

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
I live in Spain, Balearic Islands

Done, my location is in my profile

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
i'm sorry about my friends living in Italy... Daniel synieco confirms that Switzerland will not be touched by not being in EU, but prices will increase here too, I think and I hope we will not see...

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.