PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
The only SG blend that I've gotten overly moist is St. James Flake. While I'd rather not pay for water, SJF is an astonishingly good high perique flake by virtue, I think, of SG's steaming. I simply dry down 500g at a time to a point where my thumb can discern moisture as it is rubbed down the flake and jar. In this regard I don't understand those who feel they have to dry the tobacco down two a level two and three times below how it comes from the manufacturer. Tobacco smokes fine for me at a variety of levels, and I only add or subtract moisture when the variation is more than moderate.

In this regard I don't understand those who feel they have to dry the tobacco down two a level two and three times below how it comes from the manufacturer.

We always get someone that doesn't understand us. :puffy: It's really not hard. The drier the tobacco is, the less steam you have, thus... the less tongue bite. I prefer mine bone dry and packed tight as hell. That's just the way I've seen men smoke growing up, and to me the ones that smoke it all wet and goopy out of the package look strange to me. So... do we have a 6 or 9? :puffy:

perspective.gif

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I'm thinking anything that doesn't want to dry naturally, should be nuked in a microwave for a few seconds with the tobacco sitting on a couple layers of paper towel.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
We have one of those electric radiators in the kitchen. During the winter I use it to dry my tobacco, I simply put a paper towel on the radiator and put the tobacco on it. Depending on the moisture level of the tobacco, it takes me 20 to 60 seconds to dry it. I had no success with 1Q, it won't dry out. I've just remembered that lovely smell rising from the top of the radiator while drying the tobacco, irresistible.
Futura-2KW-Electric-Oil-Filled-Radiator-Oil-Heater-FUTOFR2000-01_900x.jpg

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
I enjoy a lot of blends on the somewhat drier side, but if you smoke aros a lot the flavor can dissipate it it's too dry. Some super wet ones don't need to be dried out anyway, like Molto Dolce. Burns fine, maybe because they use alcohol as part of the topping?

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Burns fine, maybe because they use alcohol as part of the topping?"
Interesting theory Lazar but wouldn't any alcohol evaporate at the first light and continue to do so further down the bowl? That said, I do know alcohol is often used as a carrier for flavourings.
I could be way off of course.
Regards,
Jay.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
Good point... I prefer to believe it's something at least vaguely natural that helps it burn, though. :? The stuff is so wet it leaves a thick gooey residue in the bag.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I don't get why people complain about moisture. The whole point is it comes wet so you can dry it to the level you prefer. Once it's dry that's it, rehydrating schmydrating

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
All tobacco is rehydrated before being blended, it comes down to getting your money's worth, especially in places you get taxed like crazy. I don't like my tobacco crispy, I like it a bit spongy to minimize the dust that settles from the broken bits when it's too dry

Status
Not open for further replies.