PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Yeah see a shrimp flavored aro would do great in this crowd.

Now, I have loaded a pipe with fishy fingers, many a time, and have tasted fishy tobacco. It’s not that good. It burns off. That’s why I take Billy budd and old Joe Krantz out on the boat, covers up the worm dirt/fish slime taste.

I’ve only ever had one tin of Navy Flake. I remember not thinking much of it, but I was a fair bit noobish at the time. I like the “condimental” Latakia in a VA, like McClelland’s Anniversary where the Latakia is just adding a little body and smoke. I’ll revisit, thanks for the reminder!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have a tin of this waiting to be opened and now I'm very curious as to what I'll actually taste.

When I read the descriptor "scallop" or "shellfish" I don't necessarily think of a fishy flavor. I can't think of the term for the flavor but it exists in lots of things including wine. The closest, yet not quite accurate, descriptor I can think of is either slate or wet gravel. It's not quite a mineral flavor but it's in all shellfish and is probably most noticeable in sea urchin.

When I read the descriptor "brine" I don't necessarily think of the ocean but rather just salt. Salt can be tasted for lots of reasons and may not actually be from the tobacco itself. Other causes can be dehydration, allergies, a mild cold or other infection.

Were you eating or drinking anything before you smoked this blend?

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I have a tin of this waiting to be opened and now I'm very curious as to what I'll actually taste.

When I read the descriptor "scallop" or "shellfish" I don't necessarily think of a fishy flavor. I can't think of the term for the flavor but it exists in lots of things including wine. The closest, yet not quite accurate, descriptor I can think of is either slate or wet gravel. It's not quite a mineral flavor but it's in all shellfish and is probably most noticeable in sea urchin.

When I read the descriptor "brine" I don't necessarily think of the ocean but rather just salt. Salt can be tasted for lots of reasons and may not actually be from the tobacco itself. Other causes can be dehydration, allergies, a mild cold or other infection.

I'm curious to hear about your experience. I don't think its salty. The best I can do to describe it is like if you ate the meat from a crab leg, then after you kind of scrape the shell for what's left - whatever that flavor is right up against the shell. I was drinking a Blue Moon with it, which paired well. Either way, I noticed it the 2nd half of the bowl, so you may too. Please share of you find something similar.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Is Umami what everyone is thinking? ?

Reactions: BROBS and kcghost
You may onto something.
I am a Greek food fanatic. All of the best restaurants here in my area are owned by one large Greek family, from Jim and Nicks BBQ to Seafood. Lakerda was one other that I was thinking of also. When I first heard "latakia" when I had just started smoking pipes, I immediately started thinking of Greek seafood dishes.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I am a Greek food fanatic. All of the best restaurants here in my area are owned by one large Greek family, from Jim and Nicks BBQ to Seafood. Lakerda was one other that I was thinking of also. When I first heard "latakia" when I had just started smoking pipes, I immediately started thinking of Greek seafood dishes.
You can eat that?!

As a Greek reading this thread, I laughed though I get the similarity!

I like fish but can't eat any of that stuff brined/smoked stuff, only make an exception to vinegar-brined anchovies with garlic, but it must be fresh, made 24 hours ago. My favourite is always fresh sea bream on charcoal with a squeeze of lemon, splash of olive oil and a handful of chopped parsley.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I was a little turned off, the first thing that came to my mind is the fishy taste you can get from poorly fermented pu-erh tea. Note: If you like tea, don't order the cheap bricks of pu-erh, it's truly not worth the savings.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9
You can eat that?!

As a Greek reading this thread, I laughed though I get the similarity!

I like fish but can't eat any of that stuff brined/smoked stuff, only make an exception to vinegar-brined anchovies with garlic, but it must be fresh, made 24 hours ago. My favourite is always fresh sea bream on charcoal with a squeeze of lemon, splash of olive oil and a handful of chopped parsley.
There are a lot of things that I see on menus that I have yet to try, ha ha. But, sometimes I remember the names.

Reactions: BROBS

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
SGNF was my first latakia experience and I didn't notice anything fish like, but it was an explosion in colors and maybe some distant flowery aroma. I thought it was really fantastic first half and then maybe a little too much of that taste in the end.

Now I've tried it a number of times and that too much feeling is no more, so last friday I declared it is the first tobacco to definitively enter my "permanent rotation". I think it's well worth to be a "royal" once-in-a-week friday or saturday smoke. For me, that's the perfect use for this tobacco.

SG S:t James Flake is always ready to stand in when I don't need that explosion but still want a royal smoke.

Reactions: beargreasediet