PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I have to say, since this had latakia I smoked it out of the pipe I normally smoke latakia out of. I've been smoking And So To Bed, and there was some ghosting for a couple bowls. So the first half of the bowl, which many reviews say was a bit underwhelming, I cant comment on because it carried a bit of that flavor with it. I didn't mind it. I'm mainly writing this to see if any others have experienced the same flavor I think I found in the second half. I swear I tasted scallops. Is that wierd? It wasn't fishy. After focusing, I settled on a shellfish flavor, like crab rather that lobster, like meat that is closer to the shell - could be a shell from a shellfish flavor instead of the meat. It wasn't over powering. It was just lingering and it was so good. Has anybody else had a tobacco that carried a fish like flavor with it? Or am I tasting something else that I'm misidentifying? I would recommend this. Not sure I'll buy more, but I'll def have it again.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Hell yeah, it's weird. Of course, And So to Bed is a very weird blend IMO with the ale topping, so I am not surprised you got some weird flavors while smoking it ?

I have not noticed a shellfish flavor from Gawith Navy Flake (or ASTB). I love the stuff, maybe my favorite Samuel Gawith blend in terms of flavor. I consider it a Virginia with a condimental amount of Latakia, and what I usually get from the flavor is baked goods, like chocolate chip cookies.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Ooooo, I like the idea of just a smidge of latakia in a Virginia Flake, but for me it's the run that keeps me from trying it. puffy
It's really good. It tends to stick around and stay available more than a lot of SG blends because the same cognoscenti who find Gawith blends so precious also seem to be anti-latakia these days. Even when it's only 8% of a blend and rounds out all the sharp edges of the VA.

Have you had GL Pease Sextant? Kind of a similar idea and also good, though not especially similar in taste to the Gawith Navy Flake.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects!" Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love - Robert Heinlein
I can zip up my pants when I remember. Is that good enough? ?