PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
The tin note is difficult to describe, but it smells nothing like latakia. It is sort of acrid and somewhat reminiscent of Squadron Leader. As it is customary with SG, these flakes do come in different lengths and thicknesses. The thinner ones will crumble easily whereas the thicker ones are harder to rub out. The flavour is of a subdued nature, creamy and mature. if you could smoke a dusty and musty old book, this is probably what it would taste like. The latakia side of it is not as strong or pronounced as in Balkan Flake, but it gives you the same impression of aged tobacco. I am finding this smoke both mild and satisfying at the same time. I am not sure as to what function the rum flavouring plays in this mixture, or if I can detect any. Not a complex tobacco that will evolve in different layers and undertones as you progress with your smoke, but it is really good for what is. It is easy to smoke, will get stronger every quarter of your bowl and won't change its nature, or get sour, at any point in time. Despite the fact it has no nicotine kick, this tobacco seems better suited for afternoon/evening smokes. The room note is mellow and rich, and has a spicy note to it. This is good old fashioned tobacco and I'll be buggered if it did not please the most demanding smokers out there, so I am going to give it four stars.
navy%20flake_zpsvywms8ak.jpg

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Nice review, I have been wondering about this blend for a while now but have yet to try it.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Got some in the cellar. Never tried it. After this review I'm looking forward to freeing up a jar and popping her open.

hierophant

Lifer
Jul 27, 2014
Good review, I like SG Navy Flake. I don't like that every tin I've ever had of it has come sloppy, drippy, wringing wet, but that's just a Gawith thing I guess.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I just popped open my first tin I had cellared for three years.

It is an enjoyable smoke. I definitely agree with the moldy and dusty books. Very mellow smoke.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I didn't like it at all,(& I'm a SG fan) along with Celtic talisman one of the cheapest tasting blends I've smoked. For my money nothing old fashioned about it at all.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I didn't like it at all,(& I'm a SG fan) along with Celtic talisman one of the cheapest tasting blends I've smoked. For my money nothing old fashioned about it at all.
I've not tried it but I definitely want to now. It seems to really polarize. Oddly, all the Brit's on TR seem to pan it.
Jorge, thanks for the review.

Status
Not open for further replies.