PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
Had this tin for a couple of weeks now after reading good if not mixed reviews online.
Initial smell was shocking but not unpleasant, it's difficult to put your finger on the smell. The best way I can describe the smell is hay scented floral and slightly soapy. Sorry best I can do I know that makes it sound bad but it's really not.
The tobacco is very light in colour and quite moist, fairly roughly cut but still lights easily. I was surprised how well this tobacco stayed alight and it burns very cool even when smoked fairly quickly. The flavour is to me beautiful, floral bright lemony and very easy to smoke, Although I know this wont be for everyone.
I have heard this is a very old blend and notice it also comes in plug form. This is my first Samuel Gawith tobacco but won't be my last. :)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting your observations. I think you captured the high points pretty well.

For me, this blend was pleasant enough to smoke, but it left a funny aftertaste.

I smoked most of the tin, but I gave the remainder to a friend who hadn't yet tried it.

I don't think he was too thrilled with it. I think it's a pretty good introduction to Lakeland style blends.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
I like Grousemoor. The primary characteristic that I note is Lemon Grass.
That said, I wish that it was a bit more full bodied and satisfying in the N department. The cut of the blend is great and it packs / smokes effortlessly. It's a classic that's been around forever....for good reason IMO. It's different and makes for a good change of pace smoke on occasion.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
I had the opportunity to sample this blend. If this is a good example of a Lakeland style blend, I'm gonna have to pass on sampling any more of those. I liked the scent of the tobacco before smoking it, but it was too bitter for me. At least I've sampled it and now I know. Btw, I still have the sample. PM me and I'll mail it over to the next sampler. The next person might like it.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Grousemoor sample accounted for. That was fast. That sample was first sent to me by papipeguy. Regifting.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
O hold on a sec, my review was all wrong. that was gentleman caller that was bitter. This on is not bitter at all. Lol. I gotta write things down next time. But yeah, still sending it over phono met. This one is definitely floral, this is the lemongrass one is it not? It was actually quite pleasant. not my type, but pleasant.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Grousmoor was a blend I wanted to like but to me, the cut makes a number the Sam Gawith blends difficult for me. Those wide ribbons just don't work for me. Love some of the flakes but I struggle with the ribbon style blends from this blender. I remember being disappointed in the lack of flavor I got from this. I was looking for the plug version but never came across it.
Mike S.

jamespworth

Might Stick Around
Mar 13, 2012
It seems a bit of a marmite Tobacco. Yes Lemon Grass is the smell but it's a bit like when they make lets say a strawberry a sweet (candy) you recognise it as strawberry flavour but it tastes nothing like a real strawberry. Don't know if that makes any sense to anyone.
Defiantly quite low in the vitamin N department but not really a concern for me. Really love the stuff didn't think i would when I opened the tin.

Status
Not open for further replies.