PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
So i'll start off by saying that I am still finding my way around the distinct tastes regarding tobacco's and this is my first write up.
This is my first experience with Grousemoor, and I had read lots of both high praise and horrific disgust. And to be honest I didn't know quite what to expect.
I unusually purchased this blend from my local B&M (normally buy online) on the recommendation of the "Chris" behind the counter. I had told him that I wanted to try something more on the aro side but without going OTC or goopy. He pulled the tin out from the case and popped it open for me to have a whiff. Immediately I could smell the Lemony sweet tin note that is either a winner or loser for many a smoker.
Once home I decided to wait on smoking this blend until I had either another beater cob or a clay to avoid ghosting any of my regular rotation. The tin has been sitting in my cellar for a few months now with not even a crack to see how it was doing.
I decided to take a chance on it today after being completely indecisive as to what to smoke this afternoon. So out came the Cob and I pulled out the 'moor.
I teased the finely pressed ribbons in the tin to gauge the moisture level and it was pretty well good to go. So I removed enough for a 3/4 bowl and put it out to air. The colours in the blend are brilliant. Lots of light and medium browns make up a fairly long ribbon cut with some lighter flecks of greener leaf. Probably a terrible description for the more initiated but its the best I can do.
The tobacco only took 15 mins or so to get to a good consistency and packed well. The char light didn't seem to hit me with an overwhelming flavour. I got sweet Virginia and only a light hint of the lemony/honey/gingery Grousemoor aroma.
The true light however was a blast. Before I knew it I had a wonderfully light and bright burst from the bowl which settled down once the initial lighting had taken place. This very flavourful combo of Virginias and ginger/lemon lasted for a good deal of the bowl. I was very surprised when I found myself almost at the end of the bowl with no relights. I was puffing quite quickly as well and not a hint of bite to be found. The tobacco burned unusually cool for an aro/va especially with my puffing. With both a puff and a sip there were two very different flavours. The puff got a good deal of the lemon/ginger whereas the sip produces an excellent Virginia with top notes of the lemon/honey.
To end the bowl I only had one relight towards the heel and it burned to an excellent white/gray ash.
The aftertaste is pleasant and is mostly of a Virginia variety with a nice subtle ginger taking over after about 20 minutes or so.
I was very pleased with this blend. It takes a lot of heat for being overpowering, but I think it has a lot to offer depending on your tastes. It is by far the strangest tasting tobacco I have ever smoked but it has something about it that I love. I usually smoke mild lat and oriental blends so this was a step away from my comfort zone, and I loved it! I will definitely be smoking more!

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
This is one of my favorites. Glad you like it. I've never experienced any ghosting in my pipes but I rarely smoke the same blend in a pipe twice in a row. The Laklands are fun to tame. As you move along there is 1792, which is a strong blend and another love it or hate it tobacco. I love it but you may want to wait a while before tackling 1792. Or you could just jump in with both feet. Just be sure to smoke it sitting down as I've seen more than pne piper's knees buckle from it. Great stuff.

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I'm placing a 100+ dollar tobacco order on tuesday and this review just added Grousemoore (and a cob pipe to smoke it in) to the list. Thanks for taking the time to do a write up!

Jan 8, 2013
I have every intention of trying that blend very soon. I've mentioned before that I plan on purchasing a tavern pipe along with it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Thanks for rekindling my desire to try it. Great review :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
What a good review, Alex.
I'm married to an English teacher and I also taught English a couple of lifetimes ago, so I really appreciated your writing style. It's energetic, thoughtful and very well composed.
You didn't persuade me to try this smoke, but you've got me thinking about it and that alone takes talent.
Kiddo, you just might be an advertising company's wet dream.
Good job,
Fnord

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
Sounds like I need to revisit this stuff. I tried it early in my pipe journey and had not yet learned good Va technique or about the need for drying tobacco properly. I popped that tin, crammed a pipe full, and fired that bad boy up-- and IMMEDIATELY dumped it. It tasted like a combo of Aqua-Velva and sulphuric acid. Burned the heck out of my mouth.
But I am a lot older and a little wiser now. Maybe it's time to get back on that horse...

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I truly believe that the time spent just letting this one sit after cracking the tin helped. I also think going in not having any prior expectations helped.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I avoided Grouse Moor for years and only succumbed about two months ago. Strangely, I found that I like it, but more for the novelty than anything else. When the tin is gone I don't think I'll replace it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I just ordered a tin this week out of curiosity. I just wanted to try one of the oldest blends around. I read somewhere that they still use the original equipment from the 1700's to make it! There's something exciting about trying something with that kind of history! I think I'll smoke it in a meer, as I've heard about the paranormal activity associated with it!

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I smoked my first bowl of Grousemoor today. All I can say is, wow, what a waste of money! I bought it on a whim, just because of the history behind the blend and the company. I should have just put the money towards some more Black House! Now granted, I did have fair warning that this is a "love it or hate it" blend, but I couldn't make it through the whole bowl! Now, I'm not gonna knock the quality, because it did appear to be a quality leaf, but that taste! Ugh!

alex87

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 30, 2012
I'm afraid so...its one that you will love or hate. Tastes are so individual its hard to gauge based on what we read. Sorry it wasn't any good for you. But if you had never tried it you would never have known...

dixcreek

Lurker
Feb 6, 2014
Like most all tobaccos you either love it, hate it, or are in a neutral state. I love this one, but I am a big Sam Gawith smoker. I also use their snuff on occasion. Love the Lemon Verbena essence in the tin on the tounge and in the air. It is one of the tobaccos I simply refuse to be without

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
Aye I liked this tobacco too, and our lass does too so I smoke it quite a lot. It's lovely with a cup of tea in a nice long clay.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Grousemoor has been one of my favorite blends since I had heard about it from the guys on this forum about a year ago. It has great taste to it and the people I smoke it around love the smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.