PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
I have never written a review and compared to the likes of some of the jedi night smokers on here, I don't hold a candle. However, maybe a few novice reflections for the piper passing by might be of some use.

My entry point into Virginias has mainly come through VaPers. I bought a tin of Orlik Golden Sliced and a small bag of PS Luxury Bullseye Flake. Immediately I liked what I smoked and continue to explore VaPers a bit, but thought I should try a straight Virginia. Searching this forum and tobaccoreviews.com, you can't miss the the venerable Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (FVF). A fellow piper on here sent me a sample, which I tried and thought I liked, so I finally splurged this week on a tin.

Opening the tin which is beautiful in its own right, you are immediately greeted with what you expect from a Virginia. Sweet, grassy, and maybe a bit citrusy. From the start, you have a sense that this is a gentle tobacco that is going to give a mellow, but pleasant experience. In fact, it is one of the few tobaccos I have opened that I have thought, this would be even interesting to chew! It smelled that nice.

Reading tobaccoreviews.com, you can't help but notice the debate and sometimes outward hostility about how damp FVF is, resulting in multiple relights. I must admit I was a bit intimidated by this and expected the worst. My tin was not dripping in moisture, but it was certainly damp. Reading around on the reviews, some people even leave FVF out over night before smoking. Rather than do that, I took a bit of a risk and decided to compromise. I rubbed it out and let it set for 30 minutes.

It was still pretty moist and loading my pipe I could see the risk of over packing, so I intentionally adjusted my technique to go slightly lighter than I would a ribbon cut aromatic. Having already smoked VaPers, I was prepared for the possibility that it might take several lights to get it going and it did. However, once I did get it going, it was no worse to keep lit than an aromatic requiring a few relights. I was prepared for the worst and it actually did not seem too bad.

The smoke was smooth, buttery, cool and was consistent with the tin note. It was not dominating, but rather enticingly subtitle... inviting you to slow down and find the flavours, as opposed to a freight train of flavours that knocks you over. I did not find in my impression that the flavour profile changed much through the bowl, though towards the end it seemed to get a bit more tangy for me. I did not notice a lot of nicotine, so I would rank it somewhere between low to medium. I did not get bit and never had a concern as this just strikes me as an easy smoking tobacco unless you get crazy in the relights.

I don't usually drink alcohol when I smoke a pipe, but on this occasion I paired it with a healthy shot of Jim Beam Double Oak on the rocks. It was a nice combo.

Compared to a VaPer I must admit I had to adjust my frame of mind that this is much more one dimensional smoke and I could easily see that sometimes that is what the doctor has ordered... a simple, refreshing, smooth smoke, that you could sit out on the front porch with on a warm sunny day, like a glass of iced tea. I am going to keep some FVF for such occasions when a VaPer just seems a bit too much. Nice tobacco!

Last edited:

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Cut in flakes, fully open and exposed to the air. Is that so?
What do you get at the end of that time? Dry flakes ready to smoke?
I'll do the fold and stuff thing, only it's really more of a break and stuff. I break the dry flake into pieces about two thirds of the depth of the bowl. Then I'll rub or grind some into very small pieces and strands to put on top as kindling.

Mis Pipas

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
I'll do the fold and stuff thing, only it's really more of a break and stuff. I break the dry flake into pieces about two thirds of the depth of the bowl. Then I'll rub or grind some into very small pieces and strands to put on top as kindling.
Sorry, help me to understand better : you wrote "The tin has been open for a week or two" it means you leave the tin full open during that period ? Then you break and stuff close to smoking time ? Tanks

Last edited:

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
What I usually do is to take some amount of SFV, break the flakes into thinner pieces and dry them overnight or something, between sheets of paper with some weight on them.
When I go to smoke I break and fold waiting 1/2 more or so up to the desired humidity

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Sorry, help me to understand better : you wrote "The tin has been open for a week or two" it means you leave the tin full open during that period ? Then you break and stuff close to smoking time ? Tanks
Sorry for not being clear about this. No, I'll open the tin so it loses its vacuum. Then I'll leave the the lid off for 2-3 days and put the lid back on. When the seal is gone, the tobacco will dry out slowly, even with the lid on. After that, it's a matter of feel. If the flakes are dry enough, I'll smoke them. If not, I'll dry them some more before I load the pipe.

Mis Pipas

Nov 11, 2019
Holy Land
Sorry for not being clear about this. No, I'll open the tin so it loses its vacuum. Then I'll leave the the lid off for 2-3 days and put the lid back on. When the seal is gone, the tobacco will dry out slowly, even with the lid on. After that, it's a matter of feel. If the flakes are dry enough, I'll smoke them. If not, I'll dry them some more before I load the pipe.
YOU WILL DO THE SAME AS YOU DO. It makes sense. THANK YOU FOR HAVING PATIENCE. AND FORGIVENESS FOR MY ENGLISH.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Nicely done!

I recently bought a 250g box myself after years of not getting around to it in my quest to try everything. I guess I expected it to be darker in appearance (as well as flavor)? Oh well, it really is a nice tobacco. Nice, mature flavor profile. If it tastes this mature now, I bet it doesn't take long to get results via aging as Alaskan mentioned. I set aside 200g in 4 different jars for future research!

It seems like the SG pipeline has picked up a bit the past month or so and blends are coming in more frequently and staying in stock longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.