PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

I have been somewhat disappointed by a lot of tobacco’ I have bought and tried.

I can understand when I have been on cruises and a couple of smokers only smoked one brand.

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake Tasted like Peterson Irish Flake or Peterson Signiture Flake.

It’s a good smoke, but would I buy it again? Probably not!
Tobacco costs a lot and perhaps my urge to try new tobacco’s have come to an end.
I have E A Carey’s Black Twist and Desert Island Mix

Havana House coffee caramel and garlic mix

Condor Ready Rubbed
Do I need anything else?

Probably not!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Was your FVF fresh?
I scored some aged in a trade and it was most excellent...
giphy.gif

jay-roger.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
While FVF is my most finicky flake in my cellar, the effort is well worth it. It has to be dried out to a good degree before it will open its legs for you.

kanaia

Feb 3, 2013
While FVF is my most finicky flake in my cellar, the effort is well worth it. It has to be dried out to a good degree before it will open its legs for you.
That is a hall of fame quote Harris. Thanks

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Eh, jeez, I mean... to me, if you can't tell the difference between Irish Flake, Signature Flake, and Full Virginia Flake, maybe virginias aren't your thing, is my thought.
3 entirely different tobaccos, different flavor profiles, different strength, different casings.
Something isn't adding up to a complete experience here.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Agree with sasquatch, I don't see how you can confuse those 3 with one another. FVF would probably be my Island smoke were there such a thing. Between the flake and plug, I have nearly 20 lbs. It ages as well as anything I've seen, smoking some from 2013 at the moment.

Jun 9, 2018
England
If you didn't like Full Virginia Flake then try the Plug version (if you can get it), the moisture level is better ie it's not nearly as wet and you can cut it to your own favoured thickness.

One of the reasons I prefer the plug is that I found the flakes too thick with a tough beef jerky texture, with the plug you can cut it wafer thin which is my preference.

Believe me if you like straight viginias then FVF/FVP is well worth persevering with as it can be an absolutely sublime smoke, a year or two in the jar makes it even better.
Chris

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake Tasted like Peterson Irish Flake or Peterson Signiture Flake.

Woah...
Well, perhaps something like Gawith and hoggarths dark flake or Kendall Kentucky would be up your alley

maduromadness

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2014
California
Agreed with all things stated here...to me it seems your tastes are honed to moderately cased tobacco's. The realm of Virginia's is subtle but varying to refined degree. You've got to spend quality time with them before they display there value, but when you develop that palate(if you can) they become sublime. My cellar is at least 50% comprised of sole Virginia blends...and I can tell you that every one taste different to some degree.

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
Yep, agree with the others. Those VA flakes are pretty different. I keep a 'dry jar' for my Gawith VA flakes. They are aged for years, and I will occasionally pull some over to the dry jar and allow it to air out for days in a cool place. Texture should be not crumbling but the flakes should be kinda falling apart and easy to rub apart.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
I open a tin and keep the lid ajar for several days, transfer it to a bail jar,take out a pipeful and dry it for a hour or so before smoking. Seems to work. Pack it loosely. It seems to do better in large bowls. FVF is fussy but worth it IMHO.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't tried many SG blends, but a Forums member sent me a full unopened tin of Brown Sugar Flake, a.k.a. B.S. Flake and it was excellent and didn't last long despite my glacial rate of smoking. Mostly Va., but a little burely, Oriental, Cavendish ... really a balanced elegant smoke. The Danish Pipe Shop sells this. It isn't marketed in the U.S. much or at all.

samw74

Jan 28, 2017
New York , NY
I love Full Virginia Flake and am interested In the the Plug version. Does anyone know where I can buy any (or trade)?

Status
Not open for further replies.