PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Samuel Gawith and its twin and nemesis Gawith Hoggarth & Co are, by far and large, my favorite tobacco producers. Every time I come upon a new tin of them, it creates a wow! effect.

I am very jealous of you people who can get so many blends of them, particularly in bulk...
Anyway, I came upon a report in an Spanish pipe forum about a visit to the Samuel Gawith workshop. If I liked them before, I now bow to them... As iconic as their blends are to me, that workshop is for what I "fantasize" about what a tobacconist should be.
There are some captions in Spanish, but the pictures are self explanatory. Enjoy:

Marcelino Piquero Photograpic Report on Samuel Gawith

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
That is awesome. I had a notion that it was gonna be some sort of pristine modern factory. Boy, was I wrong!

Thanks for posting! :puffy:

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
That's so cool. Thanks for sharing. Looking at the age of the equipment, and generally small size of their operations, it's no wonder that their blends are always in short supply. I'm almost shocked that we see any SG stuff stateside.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
Some of the equipment, the snuff one and some press machines, are over 200 years old.
These pictures are an excellent icon of what we mean when we talk about Traditional and Artisan tobaccos for the pipe. Should be seen at the side of a modern cigarettes factory to highlight how different both lifestyles are.
I have to admit that watching this report, I have had a nice warmth towards this tobacconist. Even if in some particular blends I favor other brands, I will probably adopt Samuel Gawith as my #1 brand. To me, this is the pipe tobacco version of the "organic" trend. I will make sure that my money keeps this traditional business.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Looking through all the pictures I had only two thoughts:
"OMFG that's so freaking badass."
And,
"No wonder why they're always running out of blends at e-tailers."
They can't meet demand with the way they're doing things now. And if they upgrade to new stuff the quality or flavor of the tobacco might not be the same. Some of the magic could be lost...
He needs more middle-age machines! Grrrrr.
Calling all blacksmiths! Get to work on making more tobacco-making equipment!
Thank you very much for the link to the photos. Very cool to see the inner working of an iconic tobacco factory. :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks Carlos! Very interesting. I love those old presses making flakes. It must smell wonderful in that place. I must put SG on my TAD list now.

Status
Not open for further replies.