PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
Hi All,
I have a question for anyone who has mastered the S.Gawith blends, How do you smoke a bowl of Black XX with out many multiple relights? To give you a little background I have sliced and cut the ropes into a very smokable size then I have let the tobacco dry out from very moist to almost dry and still cannot get the bowl full of Black XX to smoke easily and I am stumped because I have never had this problem with Pipe tobacco before. Can anyone help me ? I really like this smoke.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
It sounds like you're doing everything right, but for the execution. Make sure the coins are about a dime's thickness, rub them out, and dry longer.

I generally use a guillotine style cigar cutter for ropes and dry over a night or two.

Reactions: sleepy57
With really wet blends (mainly Sg and GHc) I dry them, and let them sit sealed up again for a few days, and then dry more. This gives the water and PGs deeper in the layers to equalize and then dry out more.

There is a surgeon who used to hang out at The Briary who used a coffee grinder to pulverize his ropes and twists and then dry them. I’ve tried it and liked it also. Makes for a smoother smoking experience… worth a try. I believe Georged and a few other members do this also.

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
With really wet blends (mainly Sg and GHc) I dry them, and let them sit sealed up again for a few days, and then dry more. This gives the water and PGs deeper in the layers to equalize and then dry out more.

There is a surgeon who used to hang out at The Briary who used a coffee grinder to pulverize his ropes and twists and then dry them. I’ve tried it and liked it also. Makes for a smoother smoking experience… worth a try. I believe Georged and a few other members do this also.
Great Tip but then my Espresso will taste like Black XX. (just fooling Thx gonna try that)

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I smoke a lot of Black XX. This trick as I see it is to slice the tobacco very finely, almost to the thickness of the pubic hairs one of Epsteins youthful female companions. I have never had issues either getting the stuff to burn or making it through a whole bowl without consuming an entire box of Swan Vesta matches. YMMV

sleepy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2021
Spring Hill, Florida
I smoke a lot of Black XX. This trick as I see it is to slice the tobacco very finely, almost to the thickness of the pubic hairs one of Epsteins youthful female companions. I have never had issues either getting the stuff to burn or making it through a whole bowl without consuming an entire box of Swan Vesta matches. YMMV
thank you . Now I am thinking of Nubile Starlets on my knee..... to hell with Black XX!

• Haha
Reactions: vosBghos

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
P
Hi All,
I have a question for anyone who has mastered the S.Gawith blends, How do you smoke a bowl of Black XX with out many multiple relights? To give you a little background I have sliced and cut the ropes into a very smokable size then I have let the tobacco dry out from very moist to almost dry and still cannot get the bowl full of Black XX to smoke easily and I am stumped because I have never had this problem with Pipe tobacco before. Can anyone help me ? I really like this smoke.
We had a similar topic yesterday. And a friendly guy from the United Kingdom, @simong, put us - the „lily-livered millenians“ he said -on the right track. The ever so wet British plugs, twists and ropes grew on him, or he grew on them, or he grew up with.

But beware he might slap you in the face, if you insist drying it out ;-) Otherwise he is a nice guy, ever so kind. Regards, yours all so slapped in the face Keyboard-Warrior.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I use an “herb” (weed) grinder with great results. As above, cut dime thickness coins, drop them in the aluminum grinder and mulch to my preferred texture. Leave the ground tobacco on a coffee filter or such until it gets to my preference for dryness. Load and smoke. Works great.

I’m a bit lazy and impatient so I typically grind/dry about a baby food jars worth (a Ball jelly jar) at a time.

When that is almost finished I repeat. Waaaaaay easier to smoke and keep lit!

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
It sounds like you are doing it right. I had the same problem, and the only thing that completely fixed it was to change pipes. I went from a tapered bowl (rhodesian) to a non-tapered bowl (pot) and the problem was solved.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Slice it. Chew it. Spit it. Dry it while growing up. You’re good to go.

As for the coffee grinder. The trick is still to slice thin and then let the grinder unravel the coins into a shag. Not blitz it.