Same Peterson Design but One has Deeper Reservoir.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
think you need to look at the photo more closely.The well is definitely drilled,just not so deep.
No problems
I did. Looking at the Systems I have, then looking at the photos provided by the OP, it is clear there is one 'level' missing, which is the bottom reservoir, where, on the photo attch. below, it becomes narrower.

Attachments

• 09-04-Demonstrator-System-312.jpg
    09-04-Demonstrator-System-312.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Missed an entire step? I don't think that is accurate; the reservoir is shallower than another pipe he has, which is of concern.
Yes, a step was missed as I pointed out in my previous post. The bottom reservoir has not been drilled. And, yes, I agree, it is a concern as it's a system pipe.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I have a few Pub and House Pipes and the main question for you is this, on your old one, did it ever fill up so you had to dump it like an oil change on an old car?

I have a shit ton of Petes. I’ve never once thought the System was anything more that a sales pitch.

I even have two System pipes that are billiards.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, a step was missed as I pointed out in my previous post. The bottom reservoir has not been drilled. And, yes, I agree, it is a concern as it's a system pipe.
Do you have the specs for this particular line? Are you an engineer? There is a reservoir, and it's a different shape than the other pipe. Many folks who smoke systems pipes don't think it's an issue.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Do you have the specs for this particular line? Are you an engineer? There is a reservoir, and it's a different shape than the other pipe. Many folks who smoke systems pipes don't think it's an issue.
I was unaware one has to be an engineer to give an opinion.

Last edited:

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
It's very simple. We all hate it when we have to go through the hassle of returning something we just bought. In this instance, whether you agree with the philosophy behind a system pipe or not, you have been given a pipe that has not been manufacured properly. This in itself warrants a return. Why mess with it yourself by trying to drill it out when you can return it free of charge and receive one that is not faulty? There is no logic in that, unless you are a lazy bastard and like to purchase stuff that clearly has been... FUBAR.

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Of course not. But when you, Mr. Jones, give an opinion as unequivocal as you did, you need to back it up.

And you failed to say whether you have the actual specs or not. I bet not!

What the OP showed us is not an adequately drilled System pipe, for one that uses a chimney.
It is also fitted with a silver cap which significantly increases the price.
Would I accept this type of drilling for this pipe? No.
I would return it.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Does the silver trim protect the briar or is it just a gimmek?
I would say the silver ferrule is just for looks. Of course it can also help keep the shank from splitting, if it's incline to. The last Pete I owned had a silver ferrule that came off a couple of weeks after I got it. For a new pipe this did not set well with me. It showed a lack of quality control. A little epoxy fixed the problem, but it was a repair that should have never been needed. Then to add insult to injury, it didn't smoke that well.... puffy

Reactions: anotherbob

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I would say the silver ferrule is just for looks. Of course it can also help keep the shank from splitting, if it's incline to. The last Pete I owned had a silver ferrule that came off a couple of weeks after I got it. For a new pipe this did not set well with me. It showed a lack of quality control. A little epoxy fixed the problem, but it was a repair that should have never been needed. Then to add insult to injury, it didn't smoke that well.... puffy
Right. One of my new Pete's had a silver piece come of too. Yikes

Reactions: TheWhale13

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
The lower depth drilling is actually better because cleans up easily...as long the stinger is above the bottom of the hole a little bit it is not a problem..I do not see the point returning the pipe if you like it in all other specs...Back then they used to drill pipes deeper...some of mine are so shallow you can not even call them system pipe but they all smoke good....I just got one which is a unusualy tasteless but its not a system pipe...if you prefer deeper well probably 10 years old kid can do such a simple thing and drill it better than factory which drilled the first pipe of center....

Reactions: anotherbob

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A good and practical approach!

As to ferrules coming loose, I've had one do that, one I bought (a bent Aran) in Santa Fe. After a few weeks on the CA coast, the briar swelled a half millimeter or so, and it tightened right up. YMMV.

Reactions: NC TX ID pipeman

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
A good and practical approach!

As to ferrules coming loose, I've had one do that, one I bought (a bent Aran) in Santa Fe. After a few weeks on the CA coast, the briar swelled a half millimeter or so, and it tightened right up. YMMV.
yes sir....got a St Patriks 2011 Peterson and nickel never got loose in North Carolina cost or Texas until I bring it to Idaho dry winter and it got loose

Reactions: jpmcwjr