PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
my take is either they're going to neglect the market or they're going to be widely and easily available soon. Either way it looks like someone is trying really hard to get people interested in their product.
Gawith distributes their products in various matkets throughout the world. If by “they”:neglecting the market, you mean to include the Gawith company in the US, neglect is the absolute last thing they want. But the only market they distribute their product to themselves is the UK domestic market. They rely on properly licensed importers/distributors in every export market. But those markets seem well served. If, for example, Estervals in Germany runs out of one or two blends of SG, the distributor (K&K) seems able to resupply them within a few weeks. There is a shop in St Petersburg Russia that always seems to be well supplied. Synjeco In Switzerland stays pretty well loaded. A friend of mine, an Italian native now residing in Ireland, just returned from spending three weeks In Italy and he said that all of the shops he visited n various parts of Northern Italy were well supplied with SG. There is no conspiracy to promote interest in the product. The two distributors they have had in the US have simply made no real effort to meet the demand and have treated the product as a sideline at best.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Try Amazon. Try mylar bags.
Amazon. Why didn't I think of that? You'd think they'd market themselves or something.

Last I checked on Amazon, a couple weeks ago, a case of wide mouth pint jars was $50. Other online vendors were selling at similar or worse prices. Found a few with headers saying "wide mouth pint jars - $12.99," I'd open the link and it said in small but plain language "this is for one jar."

Covid did a number on Mason jar availability. Again, I put a bit of food up every year in Mason jars, and know a network of people who do the same and to a greater scale than I do. Whether due to the jar factories being closed or people hoarding them, they're available at my grocery store randomly, where they used to sit on the shelves.

Even the Ace Hardware link, above, states the limit is one case per size. When I'm putting away tomato sauce or hot sauce or beets, I'm usually needing a couple cases at a time, even if just of the lids and rings, if I'm reusing the jars. Packages of the lids and rings are suffering the same or worse fate. I haven't seen any for months and online vendors are asking the cost of a case of jars just for the lids and rings.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
I just sold these today for $160 to a local. I spent a good amount of time this spring and early summer transferring to MYlar and selling some here View attachment 43089
Were you concerned with interrupting the aging process by switching to Mylar? Space is an issue for me and I am considering a transfer from mason jars to Mylar but I do have that concern.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Were you concerned with interrupting the aging process by switching to Mylar? Space is an issue for me and I am considering a transfer from mason jars to Mylar but I do have that concern.
MY short answer? No. Nada. Zero. Zilch.

We only appreciate the potential effects of aging in the most general way. Who's to say that interrupting the aging process momentarily doesn't improve the aging process? It will "change" the aging process, but in some vague indefinable way. Besides, aging isn't always beneficial.

Having a blend go stale and dry out in a failed tin is definitely not a good thing. Some blends, like Haddo's, become positively disgusting if the tin has failed.

If you don't want to decant the contents of a tin or bag, then don't. Just toss the tin or bag into a heavy duty food grade Mylar storage bag and seal it in.

When even as staunch an advocate of leaving the tobacco in the original container as Greg Pease switches to recommending jarring or Mylar for the long haul, maybe you have less to be concerned about than you think.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
When even as staunch an advocate of leaving the tobacco in the original container as Greg Pease switches to recommending jarring or Mylar for the long haul, maybe you have less to be concerned about than you think.
I am convinced that Mylar is the best option for long term storage. The impetus for the swap to Mylar from jars is mainly space. My family is moving to Europe next year and I am trying to be as economical with my shipping as possible. I also have to consider the fact that our new apartment will not have the same kinda space that we have here in the states. I just placed an order for Mylar and will begin to start the transition.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Gawith distributes their products in various matkets throughout the world. If by “they”:neglecting the market, you mean to include the Gawith company in the US, neglect is the absolute last thing they want. But the only market they distribute their product to themselves is the UK domestic market. They rely on properly licensed importers/distributors in every export market. But those markets seem well served. If, for example, Estervals in Germany runs out of one or two blends of SG, the distributor (K&K) seems able to resupply them within a few weeks. There is a shop in St Petersburg Russia that always seems to be well supplied. Synjeco In Switzerland stays pretty well loaded. A friend of mine, an Italian native now residing in Ireland, just returned from spending three weeks In Italy and he said that all of the shops he visited n various parts of Northern Italy were well supplied with SG. There is no conspiracy to promote interest in the product. The two distributors they have had in the US have simply made no real effort to meet the demand and have treated the product as a sideline at best.
thanks so much. That makes me think what's going on is they're looking for a new distributor and the current one is making up excuse or even worse isn't making up excuse and can't figure out how to jump through the legal loopholes that are their job. Or at least that's what it looks like to me.

Reactions: oldgeezersmoker
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It seems logical that removing the tobacco from the original SEALED container would interrupt the aerobic aging process. Aerobic aging seems to be greater than Anaerobic as tobaccos seem to age the most in the first 2 to 5 years. Yes, not all tobaccos benefit from age or change as much. But Virginia blends do seem to generally benefit from age, at least for me. In my own experience, 90% of the aged tobaccos I've smoked with 2 or more years of age was improved over fresh. Some improve immensely. YMMV.

Reactions: spicy_boiii
Oct 7, 2016
That makes me think what's going on is they're looking for a new distributor and the current one is making up excuse or even worse isn't making up excuse and can't figure out how to jump through the legal loopholes that are their job.
Only in the interest of strict accuracy, as of late August, Gawith had made arrangements for a new distributor, but all deals are “subject to” various contingencies between the two parties. Gawith has at least one other very viable option if something does fall through. There will be a formal announcement when the two parties decide everything has progressed far enough along to make one. Importing a highly regulated commodity like smoking tobacco into the US was never a simple matter, FDA issues are only the latest step you have to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.