PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I can't really vouch for any of their blends except Best Brown, Chocolate and Navy Flake. I haven't even tried their flagship FVF or Squadron Leader. Forgive me if I sound pathetic, but I see the not so hushed-talk among the forum here pushing Sam Gawith to the same realm of discussion as Esoterica. I've noticed recently that with the way people talk, Sam Gawith might be the next bull market on the selling threads.

Received an email from a vendor right before I went to bed and this morning was sold out, not that I was particularly interested in purchasing, but I do like to peek. Also, another vendor has a new stock in and I reckon it will go the same way.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I bought about a pound of SG FVF online last year in bulk without trying too hard to hunt it down. It’s probably their most sought after blend, but it’s around at smaller online shops. The Samuel Gawith blends just go very fast on the big e-tailer sites.

I think you’re right generally speaking, but it’s still out there if you look around.

When I initially picked up smoking back in 2017 (Not so long ago) Samuel Gawith was always in stock. However at that time being new I did not focus on it - was smoking mostly Dunhill and was discovering GL Pease, C&D , Esoterica.

I however stopped smoking in 2017 after 5 months into the journey and picked up the pipe back in 2019. From 2019 till now, I could not pick up any Samuel Gawith (All my meager stock is from 2017) It was crazily in demand and would sell out online in a couple of days. May be due to the supply channel issues.
I finally picked up a good representative of the sample this week. I smoke variety and after this weeks large order (all the pent up demand) I will only order it occasionally going forward

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
It just gets bought up quickly every now and again. I've seen it go quick one drop then seen it linger later in another. The stories and theories get amazing when their machines break down and have to halt production. The blends are pretty common in Europe and dont seem to be going away. Even if they dont care to "register" with the FDA and pay the stupid fees (tax) there are many suppliers in Europe that will ship to the US. It ebbs and flows as with everything else.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
FVF was the most highly sold blend on SPC at one time, especially after the FDA Deeming Rules were announced in 2016. Since a lot of people had panic bought a thousand year supply, sales the following year were slow and SG was plentiful for a couple of years.

What I'm seeing is the same sort of lemming think that happened in 2007 when Germain's shipments of Esoterica blends were temporarily interrupted. On first return, panic buying and hoarding for the tobaccopalypse ensued and hasn't let up. Start looking for B&M's that carry SG when there's a drop and you'll find what you need.
I just picked up a couple of bags of Dunbar from the Germain's drop that happened a few weeks ago, still on the shelf.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Perhaps my judgement was a bit hasty, but it does seem to go quickly among other blenders.

I suppose that it was similar to the way Dunhill decided to close up and there was a huge demand for Dunhill blends, only later to find out hat Peterson took over and the efforts (or not) of many were scoffed at followed by a secret sigh of relief. I'll get around to FVF one day, but my assumption that SG blends sit in limbo somewhere between readily available and non-existent.

I just find too many blends easily accessible to warrant a case for the hype of SG, but that's the beauty of the pipe community.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
When I initially picked up smoking back in 2017 (Not so long ago) Samuel Gawith was always in stock. However at that time being new I did not focus on it - was smoking mostly Dunhill and was discovering GL Pease, C&D , Esoterica.

I however stopped smoking in 2017 after 5 months into the journey and picked up the pipe back in 2019. From 2019 till now, I could not pick up any Samuel Gawith (All my meager stock is from 2017) It was crazily in demand and would sell out online in a couple of days. May be due to the supply channel issues.
I finally picked up a good representative of the sample this week. I smoke variety and after this weeks large order (all the pent up demand) I will only order it occasionally going forward

Same. I've noticed this year and a little last year SG was seldom in stock, and rightfully so due to the global situation.

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
[QUOTE="troyniss, post: 36197377, member: 18494"
I just find too many blends easily accessible to warrant a case for the hype of SG, but that's the beauty of the pipe community.
[/QUOTE]
FVF is worth the hype. If you are in the states I would be happy to mail you a sample. PM your address.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
[QUOTE="troyniss, post: 36197377, member: 18494"
FVF is worth the hype. If you are in the states I would be happy to mail you a sample. PM your address.
[/QUOTE]
I actually have a tin, in my cellar, just haven't gotten around to it. I'm too in love with GL Pease and bulk sutliff/newminster VA flakes.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
There's a significant difference between going quickly and near impossible to get like esoterica is. I'll bet I could buy 20 lbs of SG before the weekend without too much effort. And two weeks from now, I'd be lucky to be able to get a $10 premium for a pound of FVF. But if enough people start drama threads about an SG shortage, then people may start panic buying.

Reactions: greeneyes

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I bought about a pound of SG FVF online last year in bulk without trying too hard to hunt it down. It’s probably their most sought after blend, but it’s around at smaller online shops. The Samuel Gawith blends just go very fast on the big e-tailer sites.

I think you’re right generally speaking, but it’s still out there if you look around.
^^ This yes, and B&M if you can get to a few.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suppose that it was similar to the way Dunhill decided to close up and there was a huge demand for Dunhill blends, only later to find out hat Peterson took over and the efforts (or not) of many were scoffed at followed by a secret sigh of relief.
Dunhill stopped making its blends 40 years ago. Through a byzantine series of mergers and acquisitions more incestuous than the Spanish Hapsburgs, BAT wound up controlling the rights to produce the former Dunhill blends. These blends were eventually produced under license to BAT by STG, who also own the Peterson name. So when STG bought the "Dunhill" blends from BAT they didn't get the right to use the Dunhill name and thus stuck the Peterson name on them.
I don't know if there was much of a panic. It was a long winding down, about 18+ months. People had plenty of time to leisurely stock up. Ultimately, all that happened is that the name on the tin changed and nothing else. Same STG blends with the same sourcing, made on the same production line as the "Dunhill" blends.

Status
Not open for further replies.