PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Hello everyone,
Brand-new piper here near Toronto, Canada. Great to find this community! I've been smoking for about a month and so far, so good. Starting out with a selection of aromatics to get into the hobby. If anyone has any advice on how to avoid tongue bite, I would be very grateful. I'm trying to smoke slowly and deliberately, but I'm having real trouble avoiding the bite. Thank you!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Howdy and welcome from Idaho!
There is a search function for the forum in the top right of the menu. You can search “tongue bite“and you will come up with a plethora of advice.

As you work through a solution, take note of the variables- is it just one blend or type of tobacco or is it all of the blends you’ve tried to smoke?

I would say dry your tobacco more. This will help reduce some of the tongue bits as you work on the cadence of slowly sipping through each bowl of tobacco.
Have Fun!

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Welcome from NC!
The best thing you can do at this point in your pipe smoking journey to reduce tongue bite is ditch the aromatics for a while. Start with a good burley blend or light English blend. Once you get your pace down (nice and slow) then I would go back to the aromatic blends.

While they smell good, they are not as forgiving as non-aromatics.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Welcome from New Mexico, USA. I'll echo the "dry the tobacco more" statement. Smoking slowly is relative. Some blends I need to smoke slower than others. You may need to pack a little lighter so you can draw even easier and tamp lightly as the smoke begins to drop off. I'm sure with all the wisdom you will find on this site you'll have it all figured out in no time. Happy puffing!

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
There is a search function for the forum in the top right of the menu. You can search “tongue bite“and you will come up with a plethora of advice.

As you work through a solution, take note of the variables- is it just one blend or type of tobacco or is it all of the blends you’ve tried to smoke?

I would say dry your tobacco more. This will help reduce some of the tongue bits as you work on the cadence of slowly sipping through each bowl of tobacco.
Have Fun!

Have Fun!
Thank you so much! Great advice!

Latakia Dave

Lifer
Mar 4, 2021
Shenandoah Vally Virginia
Hello everyone,
Brand-new piper here near Toronto, Canada. Great to find this community! I've been smoking for about a month and so far, so good. Starting out with a selection of aromatics to get into the hobby. If anyone has any advice on how to avoid tongue bite, I would be very grateful. I'm trying to smoke slowly and deliberately, but I'm having real trouble avoiding the bite. Thank you!
Welcome from Virginia

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Welcome!

Here’s a long thread with lots of ideas about tongue bite. I say: dry more and try a balsa filter.

Keep on honking!

Reactions: Fralphog
Status
Not open for further replies.