PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Does anybody here had any experience with highlighted plug tobacco produced by Dan tobacco Germany,

if is not too hefty and punchy stuff? reads there light Rum topping yet punched up with little perique addition.

seems pretty hard to came by even in Germany where its being produced by this day.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
It tastes different to each person, obviously. I like it, but it is spendy.

I found it to be very similar to what The Ink Man wrote on Tobacco Reviews
Strength Flavoring Taste Room Note

JimInks (1793) 2015-11-09

★★★★

Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

The sweet dark Virginias are richly dark stewed fruity with a fair amount of citrus, and a very deep earthiness. The sweetness has a mild fermentation aspect as blocks tend to do. The perique is a minor player; much more raisins, figs, and dates than spice, the latter note is not always noticeable. I’ve no idea what fruit topping is added, but neither that nor the light application of sweet Caribbean rum detracts from the tobacco taste, and I do not consider this to be an aromatic. The nic-hit is a little less than medium, getting just a little more potent in strength after the half way point, but it’s never overwhelming. Both the strength and taste is a shade more than medium. The block may take a little cutting and it’s moist, but it’s not a chore. I tore it apart with my fingers, and peeled off thin layers, which I cut into small flake-like pieces before each smoke, leaving the block as intact as possible for as long as I can. Burns slow and requires relights. It’s not very complex, but it’s very creamy smooth with no weakening of flavors, no dull or harsh spots. I didn’t dry it any, but was able to burn it to finish though it left a little moisture in the bowl without dottle. The sweet, earthy after taste pleasantly lingers. Not quite an all day smoke, but if you use a small bowl, which I recommend, it’s easily repeatable during your smoking day.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
No, "medium to full" or "a shade more than medium" as stated.

My palate is a dull knife. I fullu rub it out and that may account for a fuller flavor.

Not sure have you have at it.

I am certain you could smoke tobacco blends with aplomb that would make me cry.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I smoke SD quite often and enjoy it. I'd say it's a slight notch past medium in strength. It along with Peterson Perfect Flake is one of the few European plugs readily available here in the USA. I'm trying to go slow on my stash of Warrior, Velvan and Mick McQuaid so I find Salty Dogs scratches the itch.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I thought it had a wonderful dark fruit Virginia/Perique taste. I don't smoke plugs too often, so for me, the best way to handle it was to shred it with a cheese grater -- a messy chore -- but for me the easiest way to get it into the pipe. I found that it burned nicely in the grated form. The rum didn't affect the experience in any significant way, and like jiminks, I thought its taste and strength were just above medium. I'd give it a strong 3 out of 4 stars.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I love it, it's an excellent Plug and the only VaPer Plug I've tried. (I would love to get my hands on some St. James Plug)

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
I didn't think much of it and found it quite insipid.The rum topping was practically non existent

To me it seemed like a lightweight Mick Mcquaid.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I like it IF I smoke it in a Pot. I'm smoking some right now and its an easy smoke for a plug. It doesn't scream flavor but its all there.

+1 oldreddog, again I smoked a bowl of it the other night, using my giant Northern Briar churchwarden, and I just didn't get any natural sweetness or any rum at all. I tried again the next morning using a more narrow bowl to focus in on the flavor, but I just couldn't get any flavors besides a raw Virginia taste with maybe a light burley flavor. I have about twelve more pouches in the cellar, so maybe some more age with sweeten it up. maybe

I find that Warrior, PPP, McQuaid, and Velvan have a lot more flavor.

It did have some nicotine in the giant bowl, but in the narrow pipe, I felt like I need to smoke as soon as I finished it.

I do smoke a lot of Virginias and VaPers, and IMO you can get way more flavor from just about any other blend.
Or, maybe like a dog whistle can't be heard by people, maybe the flavors are just out of my taste range.

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
I don't like Dan Tobacco, anytime I try a blend it bites the hell out of me with no flavor, all tin note

pipeman7

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 21, 2017
Tried SVH, smells nice but vanilla doesn't taste that great with a Virginia Flake, I think their Virginias all bite, and don't work with the aromatic flavors I've tried. Like Milonga, OK tin note but bites your tongue off, the Cream Candy one smells really good but the VA bites. The company is no Gawith

oldreddog

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2014
Cosmic, it did seem a little young alright. It should be interesting to see how it ages.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Pipeman7, Dan Tobacco does not, to my knowledge, make Salty Dogs Plug, STG does.

Status
Not open for further replies.