PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I’ve been looking at the Sailor Pipes the last couple years or so. Not much to them. Interesting look.

I have some 7 year old maple that I cut on my property in northern Minnesota that I wanted to try for pipe stummels. I knocked this out in about 1/2 hour. Interested in seeing how well it smokes. I set out some Carolina Red Flake to dry a bit, and will fire this up later.

47026117-EDAA-45-C5-A4-A4-5243-D314-F495.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Interesting. I have a cherry tree in the backyard that needs trimming. I often thought about trying to make a pipe with a chunk.

Reactions: B.Fee

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Interesting. I have a cherry tree in the backyard that needs trimming. I often thought about trying to make a pipe with a chunk.
Totally can!
Side note: old dominion cobs sells reed stems so you could make a simple cherrywood bowl with pressure fit reed stem! Huck Finn style?

@craig61a looks pretty good! What did you use for the metal stem and bit?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For those not so adept at crafting a pipe, Nording makes a good line of these for reasonable prices. Eltang makes them too, but at a far higher cost. I'd opt for the Nording, but I have so many basic work horse pipes, I'm not shopping yet. There are many good moderately priced pipes -- cobs, Falcons, briars, not to mention beech and maple. But nothing beats crafting your own pipe for pure satisfaction, but I'm saying this vicariously!

Status
Not open for further replies.